#TooCloseForComfort kickstarter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Seeing the accompanying photo suggests the cyclist is on the line rather than inside it as the mat and this image seem to indicate, I'd suggest this:
View attachment 341535

Why have you done a half-finished drawing of the crucifixion!?

Why have you done a half-finished drawing of the crucifixion!?
Yeah, it's not ideal, but my google fu let me down trying to find an overhead image of a cyclist.
At which point, the mat becomes redundant because it is quite correctly clearance from where the cyclist is, not from the gutter.

I thought the point of the mat was to show a driver how far 1.5m. Instead of saying to a driver "you have to stay 1.5 metres from a cyclist" which might get an honest, if incorrect "yeah, I did", the police can say "you have to stay THIS far" and show them.

The .75m thing seems like a distraction.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I don't have a drawing package to hand...

but I'd simply have the cyclist 'any distance' bit covering the whole of the lane and make it clear that the motor vehicle should go into the other lane to overtake. Then it's plain and simple.
Not all roads have another lane. So the passing distance is relevant for drivers on such roads.
And on an urban roads with parked cars, just going into the other lane is likely to be too close. So the passing distance is relevant in some situations on roads with a lane each way as well.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Those are so few as to be something of a diversion really. I live in an area where there are quite a few roads like that and I have little if any problems with drivers on those roads - as they face the same issues with other drivers - and they tend to give plenty of room. It's the roads with lane markings that are the real issue.
I live in an area where there are quite a few roads with no lane markings in the middle. I ride on them a lot and rarely get close passes. But I do get the occasional one and I don't agree that this kind of road is not the issue.
If you can't get into the other lane properly, then don't overtake.
My point was that even if you can get into the other lane properly, you could be too close if the cyclist is cycling past parked cars. If they are allowing enough space to be outside the door zone, they could be cycling almost on the centreline of the road, in which case on many roads a car overtaking could be too close even if completely in the other lane.

The problem with giving specific distances is that they are difficult to judge when you are in a vehicle.
I assume the police could invite the car driver to place their car on/near the mat to let them see what that distance looks like from their car? As others have said, though, it would be helpful if there was a bike there.
It also gives the impression that is all that you should give.
Presumably up to the coppers to emphasize this is a minimum distance.

It's going to get funded. Any minute now.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 16.34.05.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Looks like the £12k target has been reached!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Chris Juden is unamused:

"Fed up with dangerous overtaking that's too close for comfort?" Says Paul Touhy in a recent circular email.

Yes Paul, I am. That's why I voted FOR motion 14 at the last AGM, calling for a legal minimum passing distance. Where were you on that one Paul? Oh I remember, you got your tame Councillors to stamp all over it! First with a disagreeable response in Cycle magazine, secondly at the meeting and thirdly, in spite of having lost the argument not only with those in the room but also 'postal' votes, by dumping all of the unthinking votes vested in the Chair, onto the hitherto almost empty NO side of the balance!

Having been told by your "reluctant to specify" Council that "even 1.5m may not be enough in some circumstances and we don't want to give drivers the idea that it is." I find that picture of you enthusiastically specifying precisely 1.5m, quite ironic. Please explain why this is a terribly bad idea when it comes from the CTC grassroots, the members who pay your wages Paul, in case you forgot, but a terribly good idea when it's yours?

I remember the days when CTC was a bottom-up organisation, when I for one was proud to serve the members. Seems to me that CUK is well and truly top-down, with members mere foot-soldiers in campaigns directed by staff.

But wait, it isn't your idea is it Paul. You got this from Manchester Police. CTC would've and CUK could've led the way, if only staff and council didn't have a knee-jerk response to anything suggested by long-time CTC members. But instead taking the initiative in this and so many recent campaigns, CUK is reduced to the status of a 'waggoner'!

So: you want a tenner from me do you Paul, for this campaign that was such a bad idea only ten months ago? Some cheek! If you'd asked me before the 7th May 2016, you'd have got it. But if you want my money now you're going to have to eat some humble pie, apologise on behalf of Staff and Council for their short-sighted and unnecessarily damning response to Colin Clarke's popular and non-controversial motion, and promise to pay more heed in future to people who've been members of CTC a whole lot longer than you.

Top Bottom