Took bike in for service ...first pedal stroke wrote off bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Barry danger

Welcome to the forum Barry i must admit i would be pretty P`ed off too if it was me, some good advice on here in general as has been said document all the damage and maybe small claims court but initially i would go back to shop maybe they have some type of public liability insurance Hope you get it sorted. :okay:
Ty👍

OP
OP
B

Barry danger

You sounded like you were about to burst in your intro. And maybe a few folks thought it was a wind up when you gotta have pretty big thighs to rip a mech out with one pedal stroke.
Maybe take a breath and relax.
Youve shot yourself in the foot saying you’ve taken it to a bad mechanic!
Go back. Ask for it sorted. Small claims if he won’t. Or check your household insurance maybe?
Sorry, but a little poke about with a bike after it’s been in is a wise move, before you get too far from their door. Or before you leave the shop, better still.
I'm not about to burst I'm farking bursting pal ! Sorry but I only wanted to know my legal standing so when guys are claiming it's a lie etc yeah it's annoying . Had pics of my thighs and power profile all ready just to ask for legal advice on a forum I thought was traditionally commuters and thus id get better advice . Next time I'll post ww with quote from my doctor saying you've got abnormally big thighs sir before I ask anything :okay:

Chislenko

Veteran
Sorry to ask this but not being down with all the latest speak but what does ty mean.
Obviously I know it means house in Welsh but am a bit bemused in its use here.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Welcome to Cyclechat Barry, I would be gutted too if this had happened to me.

First call would be to take it back to the shop/mechanic, explain what has happened and ask what they are prepared to do to resolve the situation.

If you have no joy then speak to trading standards, maybe get clued up from Citizens Advise Bureau with a view to taking the bike shop to court.

Some pics of your bike would be good to see.

Good luck.

Reactions: C R

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Try not to take it to heart and look for the humour in the situation would be my advice.

In summary, try to Chuckle, Barry

Lovacott

Über Member
...... on the first pedal stroke after it was serviced(and new chain) the chain snapped and ripped out my front derailleur and destroyed my frame . I'm fuming .

At a guess, I'd say the quick link wasn't engaged properly on both sides. The fact that the chain wasn't wasn't even sized points to a bit of a rush job.

When I fit a new chain (three in the last year), I run my eyes over every link looking for obvious defects. I've never yet found any, but you never know. Also, I take it steady for the first mile or so on a new chain (easy gears, no uphill stuff).

I'm sure the vast majority of bike mechanics are diligent but there are bound to be some who are having an off day who maybe, are not as thorough as they should be.

Personally, I'd rather do all of the mechanics myself. I might take ten times longer than a shop mechanic to do the same job, but I check and check again because it's me who's going to be risking his his own life by riding the thing afterwards. There is so much good information on the web that bike repair is no longer the mystery that it was 20 or so years ago. Once you've done a particular job once, the second time is easy.

As for the liability issue, he is running a business trading a service for money and his service fell short. Your only problem is going to be proving that his actions actually led to the chain failure.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom