Took bike in for service ...first pedal stroke wrote off bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barry danger

Usually do all my own mechanics but dont bother with internal cables . So ...I had a shifter bust on me and took my bike in to get it replaced as well as a new chain and general tune up . I've known the manager for 25 years and hes always been rubbish at mechanics and I usually spend hour or so redoing my gears etc after taking it in . Anyway this time on the first pedal stroke after it was serviced(and new chain) the chain snapped and ripped out my front derailleur and destroyed my frame . I'm fuming . The chain is obviously way to long (like it's just been put on and not been sized ) and the quick link has been ripped In half . Do i have any rights like if it was a car ? Where and how do i take this up avoiding prison? Many thanks

Document everthing with photos.
Contact local trading standards

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

DRM

Guru
So you took it somewhere you know to be not able to do repairs properly, you need to find another LBS, or DIY it, you have to rectify their work yourself after previous visits , yet you still go back, why?
What did they say about their shoddy workmanship when you went straight back with it, was the quick link broken, or not correctly joined?

Last edited:
Document everything with photos.
Contact the shop first - you've known them 25 years but they do have a responsibility of care under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

OP
OP
B

Barry danger

So you took it somewhere you know to be not able to do repairs properly, you need to find another LBS, or DIY it, you have to rectify their work yourself after previous visits , yet you still go back, why?
Because I can not do / willing to spend my time doing internal cables and my bike is a giant and they are giant retailers and my friend who is a mechanic for specialized says they know the internals better

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
That’s quite an intro to the forum.
DIY next time
Small claims court if he won’t remedy. Didn’t you wheel it back in and give him a chance to respond?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
B

Barry danger

That’s quite an intro to the forum.
DIY next time
Small claims court if he won’t remedy. Didn’t you wheel it back in and give him a chance to respond?
I know and ty guys for being helpful as I hate guys like me who just join for help in first post !
I took home in car and did notice saggy chain but always stick bike on turbo before going outside to check and I did this last night . Chain went and I just swore, ordered new chain and put away . Was only this aft ( after bike shops closed ) did i notice damage .of course I'm going to ask for his response first , I just wondered about my legal rights. I'm still in shock to be honest as my other bike got wrote off by a car that due to covid I'm still waiting for the compensation . Many thanks for help

DRM

Guru
Because I can not do / willing to spend my time doing internal cables and my bike is a giant and they are giant retailers and my friend who is a mechanic for specialized says they know the internals better
Internal cables are all the same, frame brand is irrelevant, fit new inners, then pull outers off, slide new outers over the new inners, job done, it’s like a Vauxhall mechanic saying he hasn’t a clue how a Ford works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom