Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Probaby a Stowaway, or one of the many, er, homages to Raleigh's design - the Stowaway was a folding version of the Raleigh Twenty.

Fantastic! :biggrin:
It was definitely a Raleigh and it certainly had the sprung rack over the back wheel (is there a proper name for these things?) I remember the sprung rack well because I was able to hook my mums shopping trolley on to it and drag it along.
Like this only not as posh.I still find it difficult to believe I was made fun of :angry:

Attachments

• blue-trolley-side.jpg
    blue-trolley-side.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 47

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This thread is useless without pictures of dogs!

dog%20cost%209a.jpg

Unique-Dog-Halloween-Costume-Ideas.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
The law allowing them to do it is ridiculously outdated though. It's not acceptable to allow your dog to chase animals but nor is it acceptable to shoot someone's dog. In fact it's pretty barbaric. It's a law which needs changing.

It's a terrible situation for anyone to face, but how do you propose a farmer should protect valuable livestock? A dog in a field of pregnant ewes can cause immense amounts of damage, and I have had to deal with a couple of instances where dogs have been shot. In neither of those cases did the farmer have any alternative. The dogs were chasing sheep, one had already killed a lamb, no owners were present, the farmer had tried to corner one of the dogs which growled and snarled at him.

I'd be interested in hearing any workable proposals which would save the farmer from having to resort to shooting.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This thread is useless without pictures of dogs!

Oh now you've done it, very nearly 12 months since Barney started chewing slippers in heaven :sad:

Edit: Good grief thats a big picture, that's almost life size!

Attachments

• Baney 2.jpg
    Baney 2.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 45

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Must be my hearing, I thought he said

Just as well he didn't say Enos then!

It's a terrible situation for anyone to face, but how do you propose a farmer should protect valuable livestock? A dog in a field of pregnant ewes can cause immense amounts of damage, and I have had to deal with a couple of instances where dogs have been shot. In neither of those cases did the farmer have any alternative. The dogs were chasing sheep, one had already killed a lamb, no owners were present, the farmer had tried to corner one of the dogs which growled and snarled at him.

I'd be interested in hearing any workable proposals which would save the farmer from having to resort to shooting.

No alternative because he's allowed to do it but if he wasn't I'm pretty sure farmers would come up with alternatives.

It deserves a fuller answer but I'm afraid it'll have to be from someone else as I'm not in the mood today and the thread has been part tailly derailled with piccies.

Having mulled on it through the day, as I dripped gloss on the floor and smeared it amateurishly across the door...

It simply needs to change so there's no automatic right to shoot the dog. Same as there's no automatic right to kill a burglar but there is a right to defend your property.

There was a precedent a wee while ago, where a bloke stabbed his neighbours dog to death after it attacked his. It went to court and he was absolved on the grounds he was defending his property, his dog.

Same thing you might say but I think the emphasis would be in the right place then.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
A couple of years ago now, one of the tenant farmers had trouble with dogs worrying his sheep. 2 alsatians and a jack russel. One of his workers recognised the dogs and had a polite and quiet word with the owner.
Week later they were in the field again chasing the sheep, 2 warning shots were fired and they ran off. Another quiet and polite word was had with the owner.

A few weeks later, 2 dead lambs, several aborting ewes and sheep being chased into a frenzy-yes, the same 3 dogs were back. They were chased off again, the police were called, and all subsequent bills (vets, loss of livestock etc were sent to the owner of the dogs. It ended up in court as they refused to pay, and while im not sure how the sorry tale ended up, the dogs were never back after that.

No, the dogs should not have been there, and it was only by the grace of god that the farmer was an animal-lover as well as a businessman that only warning shots were fired, but to me its as clear as day that..once again..it is irresponsible owners, who not only cause untold damage, loss and distress but also have a knock-on effect and spoil it for responsible owners and well trained dogs.

Compulsory dog licensing and insuring for 3rd party risks would work. Dog kills ewe, farmer makes suitable claim against owners insurance.

The obvious problem is enforcement of this, as far too many would simply not bother getting the insurance and risking it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Compulsory dog licensing and insuring for 3rd party risks would work. Dog kills ewe, farmer makes suitable claim against owners insurance.

The obvious problem is enforcement of this, as far too many would simply not bother getting the insurance and risking it.

It's a start, but it depends on the people actually having a licence in the first place. The last shot dog I saw was a Pit cross Mastiff, horrible bloody thing. We had intelligence as to who it belonged to, and there were tales of it getting out and menacing schoolkids at going home time. It eventually got into a farmyard where it killed a couple of dozen hens, and an in-lamb ewe before it was shot. I went to see the alleged owners who took great exception to the suggestion that the dog was theirs. Despite all the dog apparatus, including a treadmill and swimmer they simply denied ownership.

So how would the farmer go about recovering the costs from them in that instance?

You and I know how Magistrates are swayed by apparent show of remorse, and a decent brief explaining hardship, addictions and everything else except proper responsibility for crimes, so how many people would actually bother with licensing, compulsory chipping etc etc?

Top Bottom