Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

(My mate said that he was totally exasperated with her when she let the unleashed dog through the gate after reading the warning notice!)
Having been in the position of the farmer in your tale, it is probable that he would have been more than totally exasperated.

When you devote your life to the welfare of animals, you don't want to be forced into making the decision between shooting someone else's animal and allowing it to continue to damage your own animals and profits. It's a dreadful place to be and it feels entirely unnecessary when they wilfully ignore a sign.

Edited to add: Sorry, Colin, it's (hopefully) obviously not a poke at you as I think we agree anyway, it's just that particular experience is a little, shall we say, raw for me.

Having been in the position of the farmer in your tale, it is probable that he would have been more than totally exasperated.

When you devote your life to the welfare of animals, you don't want to be forced into making the decision between shooting someone else's animal and allowing it to continue to damage your own animals and profits. It's a dreadful place to be and it feels entirely unnecessary when they wilfully ignore a sign.

Edited to add: Sorry, Colin, it's (hopefully) obviously not a poke at you as I think we agree anyway, it's just that particular experience is a little, shall we say, raw for me.

The law allowing them to do it is ridiculously outdated though. It's not acceptable to allow your dog to chase animals but nor is it acceptable to shoot someone's dog. In fact it's pretty barbaric. It's a law which needs changing.

Bicycle

The law allowing them to do it is ridiculously outdated though. It's not acceptable to allow your dog to chase animals but nor is it acceptable to shoot someone's dog. In fact it's pretty barbaric. It's a law which needs changing.

My father -in-law farmed sheep in the valleys all his life. He never spoke of shooting a dog when the owner was present. He used dogs to work his sheep, but was not happy about people letting them run free on farmland. It is a very uncool thing to do.

That's all year round, not just during lambing. He was unsentimental about stock as living, breathing creatures, but each lamb was worth a decent EU payment plus a Hill Farm Subsidy at slaughter.

Some dogwalkers might not realise that what they see as the 'countryside' is earning a living for someone.

Another bain was people leaving gates open.

Anecdotally or otherwise, I never heard of a farmer shooting a dog when its owner was present, but I can imagine the tacit threat being made or implied.

Having said that, discharging a shotgun around people who are not in your party is twelve different flavours of naughty... so licenses would be at risk. A farmer really doesn't want anyone questioning his right to keep firearms.

Bicycle

I know next to nothing about cars and as a consequence have no idea what you're on about, but I do enjoy your descriptions, I like to picture you in a big leather chair with a large brandy, like the fella from The Fast Show.

Tragically, my children keep telling me I'm like him.

It breaks my heart.

My father -in-law farmed sheep in the valleys all his life. He never spoke of shooting a dog when the owner was present. He used dogs to work his sheep, but was not happy about people letting them run free on farmland. It is a very uncool thing to do.

That's all year round, not just during lambing. He was unsentimental about stock as living, breathing creatures, but each lamb was worth a decent EU payment plus a Hill Farm Subsidy at slaughter.

Some dogwalkers might not realise that what they see as the 'countryside' is earning a living for someone.

Another bain was people leaving gates open.

Anecdotally or otherwise, I never heard of a farmer shooting a dog when its owner was present, but I can imagine the tacit threat being made or implied.

Having said that, discharging a shotgun around people who are not in your party is twelve different flavours of naughty... so licenses would be at risk. A farmer really doesn't want anyone questioning his right to keep firearms.

Well, I imagine this is the case and you have to take a large pinch of salt to stories you hear. Certainly the police were pretty hot checking licenses and facilities and habits in a rural area I lived in.

Norm

That's a good point. A farmer ranting at the same time as appearing to load will have had a much greater impact on the couple than a farmer who was only ranting.

bjellys

I am a bit concerned by this post I ride my bike with my dog running with me who should I thank the walkers or the cyclists.
Only joking I try to show some thought for others when out, I stop and bring the dog to me when ever there are young children other cyclists or dog walkers .I find most people give me a nod or a wave . In life there are people who just have problems communicating with their fellow human beings so if they don't I just smile to myself and carry on.
On my morning dog run I meet a fellow cyclist on a daily basis who has real trouble just saying good morning I just put it down him not being a people person.
No doubt the next post will be some guy saying that an annoying cyclist keeps saying good morning to him on his way to work.

OP
OP
S

SurlyNomad

A dichotomy is any splitting of a whole into exactly two non-overlapping parts, meaning it is a procedure in which a whole is divided into two parts. It is a partition of a whole (or a set) into two parts (subsets) that are:

@LYB! I had to look that bugger up! I thought you swore at me lol.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Only joking I try to show some thought for others when out, I stop and bring the dog to me when ever there are young children other cyclists or dog walkers .I find most people give me a nod or a wave . In life there are people who just have problems communicating with their fellow human beings so if they don't I just smile to myself and carry on.

As I said further back, I see it as my duty to control my dog when I'm out and about with him.

People can thank me if they like, and that's jolly nice of them (in their position, I'd say thanks too), but I don't expect it, any more than I'd expect to be thanked for not tripping them up as they pass me.

Incidentally, people deriding folders - they're bloody brilliant things. Granted, I look slightly like an escaped circus bear on one, but for going to meetings where you're not sure of the bike parking at the site, running errands, the ability to catch any train you jolly well like...fantastic. The huge surprise of my own Brompton purchase was how well it rode - the bike was sold after the first minute or so of the test ride.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Incidentally, people deriding folders - they're bloody brilliant things. Granted, I look slightly like an escaped circus bear on one, but for going to meetings where you're not sure of the bike parking at the site, running errands, the ability to catch any train you jolly well like...fantastic. The huge surprise of my own Brompton purchase was how well it rode - the bike was sold after the first minute or so of the test ride.

:hello: I'm not sure if the this is about my comment regarding folders, but if it is I'm honestly not deriding them. The story about the cross bar is absolutely true. The fact is my folder was a girls bike, well a womans actually, it had been my mums, but owing to the fact we lived in a cardboard box and ate gravel for tea I had to put up with the hand me downs (fortunately this didn't extend to my mothers clothes too!) You'll be pleased to know however that despite the scaffolding tube a quick piece of sugery with a hacksaw through the middle of the tube meant it could still be bent in half, so a folder it remained, just a boys one :biggrin:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
A dichotomy is any splitting of a whole into exactly two non-overlapping parts, meaning it is a procedure in which a whole is divided into two parts. It is a partition of a whole (or a set) into two parts (subsets) that are:

@LYB! I had to look that bugger up! I thought you swore at me lol.

Pleased to help. I love finding a new word.

Now, back to business....

This morning I encountered* 8 dog walkers, 10 dogs, 2 on a lead, 7 not under control, including one that walked right across my path causing me to stop. I didn't run over any of them, yet I didn't recieve any thanks or acknowlednment for that. The question is, were the dog walkers "ignorant arrogant bastards that passed by without saying cheers" or just people getting on with their day?

* I orginally used "met" but that implies a bit more human contact than really happened.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
:hello: I'm not sure if the this is about my comment regarding folders, but if it is I'm honestly not deriding them. The story about the cross bar is absolutely true. The fact is my folder was a girls bike, well a womans actually, it had been my mums, but owing to the fact we lived in a cardboard box and ate gravel for tea I had to put up with the hand me downs (fortunately this didn't extend to my mothers clothes too!) You'll be pleased to know however that despite the scaffolding tube a quick piece of sugery with a hacksaw through the middle of the tube meant it could still be bent in half, so a folder it remained, just a boys one :biggrin:

I had the same reaction in the 60/.70s to my Moulton Super 4. ( wish I had kept it)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The fact is my folder was a girls bike, well a womans actually, it had been my mums, but owing to the fact we lived in a cardboard box and ate gravel for tea I had to put up with the hand me downs (fortunately this didn't extend to my mothers clothes too!) You'll be pleased to know however that despite the scaffolding tube a quick piece of sugery with a hacksaw through the middle of the tube meant it could still be bent in half, so a folder it remained, just a boys one :biggrin:

Heh :smile:

Probaby a Stowaway, or one of the many, er, homages to Raleigh's design - the Stowaway was a folding version of the Raleigh Twenty.

They're actually pretty nice bikes (or can be) - there's a bit of a cult following for the Twenty;

http://sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html
http://raleightwenty.webs.com/
http://www.hadland.me.uk/twenty.htm

if you look at some of the modifications people make to them, you might well come to the conclusion that you and your Dad were ahead of your time :smile:

Top Bottom