Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I had a car driver threaten to kick the sh*t out of me once because I said "Thank you" to him (which he incorrectly lip read as "f*ck you") does that count?
I've had the same response from a group of walkers on the Thames path. One of them passed comment and I stopped to ask why, and we soon realised the misunderstanding. I now just say thanks or cheers.
It cost us nothing to be courteous and helps stave off the "bloody cyclists", "irresponsible dog owners", "inconsiderate joggers" comments that seem to be prevalent across forums and comments sections everywhere.
See, I knew it wasn't just me. :biggrin:

OK I'll admit to having given up reading after page 4! Slow weekend on the forums, weather too crap to get out (lovely up here in NE Scotland)?

I'm a dog walker, a hill walker, a cyclist and do a bit of running too. When I'm out with the dog (Black Lab) she's off the lead 90% of the time as she's generally well behaved and it's better exercise/more fun for her. Although we live in a fairly rural setting a lot of the tracks, paths etc we use are also well used by others too. If I'm out with the dog I'll bring her under control around cyclists, joggers, walkers, families (especially with young kids), other dogs etc. It doesn't ruin the dogs walk, its courteous and it's safer for all involved. It's nice to be thanked, but I don't expect it.

When I'm out with the bike, jogging or even just walking and someone brings their dog under control to let me past then I always thank them. Just the same as I do if someone without a dog moves to the side to let me past because I'm moving faster. If I'm on the bike I'll slow down to almost walking speed when passing too, and stop if I need to. It's not uncommon for me to stop to say 'hi' to a dog, especially young ones, to show that the strange beast on two wheels isn't something to be chased or barked at.

Maybe I'm lucky in where I live but if I want to get out on the bike and avoid people/dogs I've got plenty of choice of places to go, even if it may then involve either a longer ride or sticking the bike on the car for a bit.

It cost us nothing to be courteous and helps stave off the "bloody cyclists", "irresponsible dog owners", "inconsiderate joggers" comments that seem to be prevalent across forums and comments sections everywhere.

That's pretty much me, even down to the dog and colour. In fact I've just dropped the paintbrush and am just about to take him out for a jog on the local leisure path.

I refer you lot to my thread in Cafe about arguments whilst I'm gone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[Thank you/f**k you]

I've had the same response from a group of walkers on the Thames path. One of them passed comment and I stopped to ask why, and we soon realised the misunderstanding. I now just say thanks or cheers.
See, I knew it wasn't just me. :biggrin:
I realised that a while back, so now I usually just say 'thanks', 'ta' or 'cheers' too!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

This bloke refused to believe me, and it was only when another car stopped to see what was going on that he gave up, not before much swearing and exaggerated winding up of punches.

I nod, or wave now, if I do anything at all.

I've yet to have a problem with walkers, they're a cheery bunch in South Cheshire, generally.

david k

Hi
This bloke refused to believe me, and it was only when another car stopped to see what was going on that he gave up, not before much swearing and exaggerated winding up of punches.

I nod, or wave now, if I do anything at all.

I've yet to have a problem with walkers, they're a cheery bunch in South Cheshire, generally.

its the level of aggression that gets me, like my post on current afairs about 'mad man' the response is often dispropotionate. we should all be a little more tolerant, who wants all the stress? certainly not me. i used to take everyone on, i was in more fights than mike tyson, now i just walk away, its not the incident but the stress it causes that gets me

ColinJ

Two sides to every story I'm afraid.
Too true! For example ...

A friend was out walking with his girlfriend and her dog. They came to a gate with a large sign on it saying "Lambing season - all dogs must be kept on a lead" He went to put the dog on its lead but his girlfriend said that it wasn't necessary, he was a good dog, blah blah blah, and opened the gate!

The dog started barking and ran straight towards some pregnant ewes. The next minute, a red-faced farmer carrying a shotgun appeared and screamed that he was going to shoot the dog. The girlfriend started crying and my pal risked his life to run after the dog and get it under control while the farmer was loading the shotgun. They dragged the dog away with the farmer threatening to kill it on sight if it happened again.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Both the posters you aimed your irony at have "brompton" in their monikers.

Oh blimey Charlie I got completely the wrong end of the stick there, I thought you were talking about folders you put papers into, think I forgot I was on a cycling forum :blush:. No Cubist I don't have a folder, just proper bikes :thumbsup:
Actually I did have a folding bike when I was about 11 or 12 and was mercilessly mocked for having a "girls" bike, I was called every version of homosexual you can think of whenever I rode it, eventually I managed to persuade my dad to have a piece of scaffolding tube welding onto it as a cross bar and the mocking stopped immediately :biggrin:

ColinJ

I don't see a second side to that one, Colin
Well, no, but I could imagine the girlfriend moaning to the local paper if her dog had been 'murdered' by the farmer! I'm siding with him.

(My mate said that he was totally exasperated with her when she let the unleashed dog through the gate after reading the warning notice!)

Top Bottom