Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
What if it isn't, where does that leave your comment then?
It would leave me owing you a gracious apology,i'm never too proud to admit i'm wrong and offer said apology but read back through your post and i'm sure you'll see it really does come across as arrogant.

montyboy

What if it isn't, where does that leave your comment then?

Posted in good faith as you were not being truthfull.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
+1
Manners cost nothing and if everyone was as friendly as those in agreement with the op then the world would be a happier place,unfortunately though there will always be those who feel they owe no-one anything,not even courtesy.

I'll just leave this here then.

Chris-H

Über Member
I'll just leave this here then.
Fair play to you but i think the original topic of this thread is courteous manners.If someone makes a post to deliberately antagonise people then that is a different matter involving different opinions.:tongue:
Anyway i really am done here now,if you want to continue then good luck to you.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You ruined it by being lovely in all your other posts on other threads!

I shall endeavour to be Mr Nasty at all times from now on, I have to say it is far more entertaining and people have far more interesting reactions than with the softly softly approach, though that really wasn't what I was expecting when I posted, well certainly not from the people I got it from.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I shall endeavour to be Mr Nasty at all times from now on, I have to say it is far more entertaining and people have far more interesting reactions than with the softly softly approach, though that really wasn't what I was expecting when I posted, well certainly not from the people I got it from.

Oh I was impressed by their stoicism. And for everything they have said re thanking / not thanking people, they've been very polite to me.

I think you are digging a deeper hole with the comment below. Do cyclists deliberately run over dogs? Why even contemplate putting the dog in harm's way for not receiving the odd thanks.

SurlyNomad said:
It almost made me want to not call the dog to see what would happen, and if they hit him they would have ended in the canal bike and all! Yes i am a cyclist,commuter. It was just an observation on my part and needed a rant.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
OK, I'm a cyclist and dog owner but as far as I'm concerned a canal towpath is a public place and Staffies do look a little intimidating, don't they?

Both my dog and my son who has a phobia of animals are likely to feel intimidated by a Staffie off its lead and it's no fun trying to control my own dog and my son who has ran off in fear when confronted by a dog off a leash, sometimes into the road with potentially fatal results.

In fact if you had let your dog of its lead there's every chance it wouldn't be around now.

http://www.petforums...ots-2-dogs.html

The Staffie was off the lead, but he called him/her to heel, which the doggie then did.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...wouldnt you rather hear a ped or car driver say i met a really nice chap on a bike the other day rather than the usual tosh that we are familliar with about RLJ or kerb hopping or this instance a cheers mate or thankyou. :rolleyes:

I had a car driver threaten to kick the sh*t out of me once because I said "Thank you" to him (which he incorrectly lip read as "f*ck you") does that count?

Ravelin

OK I'll admit to having given up reading after page 4! Slow weekend on the forums, weather too crap to get out (lovely up here in NE Scotland)?

I'm a dog walker, a hill walker, a cyclist and do a bit of running too. When I'm out with the dog (Black Lab) she's off the lead 90% of the time as she's generally well behaved and it's better exercise/more fun for her. Although we live in a fairly rural setting a lot of the tracks, paths etc we use are also well used by others too. If I'm out with the dog I'll bring her under control around cyclists, joggers, walkers, families (especially with young kids), other dogs etc. It doesn't ruin the dogs walk, its courteous and it's safer for all involved. It's nice to be thanked, but I don't expect it.

When I'm out with the bike, jogging or even just walking and someone brings their dog under control to let me past then I always thank them. Just the same as I do if someone without a dog moves to the side to let me past because I'm moving faster. If I'm on the bike I'll slow down to almost walking speed when passing too, and stop if I need to. It's not uncommon for me to stop to say 'hi' to a dog, especially young ones, to show that the strange beast on two wheels isn't something to be chased or barked at.

Maybe I'm lucky in where I live but if I want to get out on the bike and avoid people/dogs I've got plenty of choice of places to go, even if it may then involve either a longer ride or sticking the bike on the car for a bit.

It cost us nothing to be courteous and helps stave off the "bloody cyclists", "irresponsible dog owners", "inconsiderate joggers" comments that seem to be prevalent across forums and comments sections everywhere.

Top Bottom