Took the dog for a walk today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SurlyNomad

I'm with the brothers Brompton, manners are overrated, they're a sign of weakness and the world will be a better place when we're finally rid of them. We're getting there!

OOOOOOOOH! I think that the cycling community can get a bad enough name for itself without adding fuel to the fire and having other people i.e peds and car drivers having a go at us. wouldnt you rather hear a ped or car driver say i met a really nice chap on a bike the other day rather than the usual tosh that we are familliar with about RLJ or kerb hopping or this instance a cheers mate or thankyou. :rolleyes:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That is just rude.

Weakness my arse.

Please understand that my reply here is actually to demonstrate the thousand yard stare which I'm giving you, it most certainly is not acknowledging the fact that you have acknowledged me, I have no interest in your existance, it's a little tricky to show that on a forum however but just accept that your comment has been ignored.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
When I'm given change in a shop having made a purchase, I check it, turn on my heel and walk out of the store. Receiving my change is the minimum that I should expect, no gratitude is needed. I'm the same when somebody pays the balance for goods purchased from myself, the minimum I expect is to be paid the money which they owe me, why should I thank them?
I'm exactly the same when I'm in my car and somebody allows me to make progress at a pinch point where there is an obstruction on their side of the carriageway, I don't feel it necessary to acknowledge them, why should I?
I'm with the brothers Brompton, manners are overrated, they're a sign of weakness and the world will be a better place when we're finally rid of them. We're getting there!

Sad. And also not true.

MissTillyFlop

Please understand that my reply here is actually to demonstrate the thousand yard stare which I'm giving you, it most certainly is not acknowledging the fact that you have acknowledged me, I have no interest in your existance, it's a little tricky to show that on a forum however but just accept that your comment has been ignored.

Oh the irony. You can't give a thousand yard stare to something you have ignored. If you had ignored it, you wouldn't react at all.

montyboy

How very sad for you.

Chris-H

Über Member
When I'm given change in a shop having made a purchase, I check it, turn on my heel and walk out of the store. Receiving my change is the minimum that I should expect, no gratitude is needed. I'm the same when somebody pays the balance for goods purchased from myself, the minimum I expect is to be paid the money which they owe me, why should I thank them?
I'm exactly the same when I'm in my car and somebody allows me to make progress at a pinch point where there is an obstruction on their side of the carriageway, I don't feel it necessary to acknowledge them, why should I?
Arrogant twat !!!!!!!!!!!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

i have never said that manners are not needed and i am old fashioned and use them as often as i can, in the situation as mentioned by the op i would have thanked him. neither did i say he shouldn't have been exercising his dog off the lead, what i did and do disagree with, is people trying to force their values onto others and if others don't as they are bid, then 'you'll get what you deserve' attitude (i'll let my dog loose and see what happens).

what i was trying to get across, was that coming onto a cycle forum and slating people for not giving him the gratitude he felt he deserved, (in fact he was so incensed that he considered letting his dog be a risk to others), was arrogant.

however, apparently, whilst the op is allowed to spout and vent (and make idle threats), others are not by the forum police. the same forum police then turn to insulting remarks and indeed try to make out that, their opinion on my opinion is in fact the correct opinion and the proper way to behave.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
wouldnt you rather hear a ped or car driver say i met a really nice chap on a bike the other day rather than the usual tosh that we are familliar with about RLJ or kerb hopping or this instance a cheers mate or thankyou. :rolleyes:

I couldn't give a monkeys what other road users think of me, I have absolutely as much right to be there as they do, should I choose to RLJ or kerb hop that is entirely at my discretion and I shall face the consequences that the law sees fit, are you suggesting that if I don't I should be expecting to be thanked by peds and car drivers for doing the minimum expected?
If you had offered to run in front of my bike to provide a drafting effect for me then I may have, possibly, forced a nod in your direction, but for moving your mutt, come on mate, you'll be expecting me to offer you a drink from my bottle next!

i am usually well mannered and polite , i am by no means weak

MissTillyFlop

I couldn't give a monkeys what other road users think of me, I have absolutely as much right to be there as they do, should I choose to RLJ or kerb hop that is entirely at my discretion and I shall face the consequences that the law sees fit, are you suggesting that if I don't I should be expecting to be thanked by peds and car drivers for doing the minimum expected?
If you had offered to run in front of my bike to provide a drafting effect for me then I may have, possibly, forced a nod in your direction, but for moving your mutt, come on mate, you'll be expecting me to offer you a drink from my bottle next!

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we have any lesser right to be on the road than anyone else.

It's more along the lines of why live life at the minimum level? Mediocrity is depressing.

Having seen many of Mughot's very personable posts elsewhere (including his very helpful posts re that bike hire website) I think his posts here are not entirely true.

Top Bottom