Tool "bottle"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I often use one of the Trek 'bottles', and it works well, but IME it is much better to use a saddlepack for tools, tubes etc, and the 'bottle' for phone, wallet, energy bar/s, keys etc. If on a longer ride I need two bottles, I use jersey pockets for waterproof, arm warmers etc. (I dont like carrying anything too hard or solid in the jersey - just in case). Muji sell a 'tarpaulin' pencil case that works quite well , but needs a strap (I use a toeclip strap) to keep it secure in the bottlecage. You can always carry a waterproof, or jacket, just rolled up in a cage, again with a strap to keep it safe. A 'Tribag' behind the stem is handy for wallet, phone, keys and energy bar, and you can also get double ones that hang over the top tube if you need more storage

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Trex Softshell pack looks just the ticket though - Thanks for that. I will hope to find stock somewhere.

Bugger - completely unavailable. Looks like it will have to be a DIY solution.

youngoldbloke

Bugger - completely unavailable. Looks like it will have to be a DIY solution.

That's a shame! Here is the Muji pen case Muji - the one I have is 20cm long and 7.5 cm diameter (large I assume). Could do with being slightly wider to be firm in the bottle cage. Also flexible, so needs to be full to pad it out. As I said, I use a strap to keep it secure. Fairly water resistant - except for the zip.

youngoldbloke

- just checked the dimensions of the Trek 'bottle', and it is virtually the same - 20 cm long and just a couple of mm wider, but being more or less rigid it is more secure in the cage. The zip is just a standard fabric one too, so not much better weather-proofed than the pen case.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi PpPete
I use the same bottle with typically(depends on the ride), on FNRttC + back I took:

1 Tube (sometimes 2 depends on short or long-valve and lightweight or heavy duty).
Rema TT touring P* repair kit
Topeak hexus multitool- has tyre levers
Nitrate spray (meds, about the same size as a co2 bottle
Tyre boot
Oat bar
Tie wraps - assorted
Couple dextrosols (for replenishing bottle)
Small tin Vaseline
Freshwipes/wetwipes - stolen/collected from various flights - Aeroflot in this case!
CTC membership card

I find the wet-wipe thingies qiuite good for stopping the rattles, otherwise a bit of kitchen roll works wonders.

I like the bottle as it keeps the weightier tools low down rather than flailing around under the saddle. My medium saddle-pack I keep my waterproof in. I've recently become a fan of the Topeak Tri-packs which sit on the top-tube near the stem. Great for nibbles, Blackberry, notes etc.
If I need another spare tube I'll pack it in my pocket or strap it to the bike.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's not as if I'm short of stuff to put in the "bottle" to stop it all rattling... I know exactly what I want in there, and it all fits.... It's just a complete pain to get it all out and back in again.

I've now found an old wide neck SIS bottle which was discarded cos the washer in the lid was missing and it leaked. It has now been sliced neatly lengthwise. Need to find a suitable bit of fabric to glue on as a "hinge", a zip which can go on the "opening" side, and a bit of plastic to reinforce the base and stop stuff sliding out the bottom. I already have some stick-on foam to pad the inside, and stop stuff rattling. I'm not to worried about waterproofness, as everything goes in zip-loc bags anyway.

e-rider

crappy member
I rushed out and bought two of these bottles a few years ago when they first arrived on the scene - I thought " they look great". After a couple of rattly rides and difficulty accessing stuff lost in the bottom, I gave up on them. They are now sitting in my shed collecting dust.

Edit: note to self - list them on ebay tonight.

now listed if anyone is interested

Top Bottom