Tool kit to carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hi

What tool kit would you recommend to take on a ride, I have a carbon frame so would need a torque tool, this looks good but is it too limited?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Nan...Wq1aZvpz53wEV98wI-zwgt1KwhiTvU2hoCOlgQAvD_BwE

thanks

I don't think you need a torque wrench to take on the road. It's just about having sufficient to get you home. Save your money and buy a workshop one, if you feel the need for one at all.

Any good quality multitool will suffice. Avoid cheap, likely to be made of cheese. I'd recommend including a chain splitter and a torx tool. Park and Topeak have been good for me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OP
OP
F

fattony

I had an issue and had to use an Allen key today but not torque available while out so thought I’d look, I have one in the garage just not sure what’s best to take out.

thanks

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi

What tool kit would you recommend to take on a ride, I have a carbon frame so would need a torque tool, this looks good but is it too limited?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Nan...Wq1aZvpz53wEV98wI-zwgt1KwhiTvU2hoCOlgQAvD_BwE

thanks
I don't know anyone who owns a torque tool or talks about them! All you need is a decent multi-tool and tighten things hand tight and maybe a touch more.

The rest of your kit? Tubes x2, pump, tyre boot, tyre levers, quick links, cable ties.

Job done.

Gunk

Guru
don't know anyone who owns a torque tool or talks about them!

I use a torque wrench when I’m building up a bike. Especially for cranksets and handlebar stems. However I’m a bit anal, I check every bolt is the correct torque setting including cable clamps, seat bolts, the lot.

si_c

Guru
Apart from puncture, chain, brake and gear adjustment tools, you may need to get your bars and saddle back in alignnent after a minor crash. You dont need to crank the bolts down that tight to get back home.

You can do that with a non-torque wrench if you're careful. I've had to do this previously where the handlebars had rotated slightly - tighten it up just enough that it won't rotate and then torque it up properly at home. You don't need a torque wrench on a ride, unless you're doing a long distance tour and unlikely to be near a workshop for an extended period.

newts

Veteran

I'll second the Hexus, well made compact multi tool 👍

boydj

Legendary Member
You don't need a torque wrench when you are out on the road. A decent multi-tool, tyre levers, chain tool, spare tube and a pump should suffice. I have one in the garage, but it's not often used except for fitting certain parts.

Gunk

Guru
I usually carry a bottle tool kit on longer rides.

si_c

Guru
Exactly what I carry
IMG_20200828_212229.jpg

I have a standard kit on each bike. Frame mounted Lezyne pump (large size), and a small saddle bag containing (clockwise) patches, co2 inflator, co2, quick link, derailleur hanger, tyre boot, tyre lever, inner tube and multitool, in my case a Topeak Hexus. On longer rides (75+ miles) I'll take an extra CO2 cartridge and tube.

Top Bottom