Tools for a tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...ok which tools do you use to service your bikes, I want to get the 'right tools for the job' instead of botching everything with incorrect sizes etc.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I have a Park Tools chain tool and allen key set, had them for years and they've never let me down.:evil:

*reminds self, must buy a cable pulling tool*

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

or I could buy individual items like this:

Park Tools Hollowtech II BB And Crank Arm Tool
-

LifeLine Cassette Lockring Removal Tool
-

LifeLine 9 Speed Chain Whip
-

LifeLine Cable And Housing Cutters
-

LifeLine Pedal Wrench
-

Park Tools Double Ended Cone Wrench
13 - 15 mm

I am thinking the boxed up tool kit seems to have all i need?? and it works out cheaper...erm...so where is the catch?

e-rider

crappy member
Depends how serious you are and what jobs you want to tackle. If you want to do 'everything' then look at one of the decent Park Tools kits but they will set you back £250+. The lifeline tools are OK to start but the kit is far from comprehensive and you'll find yourself replacing them after a couple of years.

For general everyday stuff get some decent allen keys, cable cutters, chain tool etc. I started off by buying each tool as and when I needed them and now I have a pretty much complete set and without those ramdom tools you get (and never use) if you buy a kit.

Park Tools are definitely the best IMO if you have the cash as they are not cheap but will usually last a lifetime - if you don't lend them to a mate and never see them again!

ChrisKH

Guru
I would agree with Park Tools (of which I have several one-off acquisitions). However a year or so ago I picked up the cheap tool set from Lidl (or was it Aldi?) and it has got me out of several sticky situations and cost next to nothing. Admittedly the quality isn't that great, but it works for me as I use most of the tools sparingly.

P.H

Über Member
If you're in for the long game, buy quality tools as you need them.
Decent cable cutters are a worthwhile investment. I also like a workshop size chain splitter, Park's CT3 pops rivets out without any effort. For BB fitting and removal get a tool that screws into the axle, like the Tacx ones, it can take some force and it's best not to slip! I've never needed a pedal spanner, Shimano SPDs come off with a normal 15mm one. The only cycle tool I've regretted was a cheap chain whip, broke both the tool and a knuckle the first time I used it.

longers

Legendary Member
How about this for a toolkit?

Seems a good price and a decent company to do business with (got a couple of their tools in the kit I keep at work).

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
As an engineer my heart says buy only top quality tools which will last a lifetime. However........and a big one at that.......my head says the tools found in bike tool kits will be used only very infrequently and are likely to be fine for most riders. I bought one of Lidl's £20 jobs last year and it has so far served me well.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You are best off getting decent quality tools rather than a set. There are fewer tools needed now than there used to be a few years ago (eg the 32mm headset spanner / BB fixed cup /BB pin tool / lockring spanner / pedal spanner set that used to be standard).
It's also best to keep home tools separate from on the bike tools, otherwise you'll end up looking in your saddlebag for a tool that's still back at home.

Start off with stuff as far as the dashes, then fill in as required.

Chain tool
Set of long ball-end allen keys (Bondhus?)
cassette lockring tool
bottom bracket tool (screw-on Tacx are good unless you have an unusually long BB axle)
crank remover
chainset back bolt tool
12" adjustable (Bahco?)
chain whip
8,9,10mm combination spanners
spoke key
-----------------
workstand
proper pedal spanner
Cable cutters
cone spanners as required
tape measure / vernier calipers / steel ruler
Pliers
small needle point pliers
Mole grips
screwdriver with separate bits as required - electric can be handy.
flathead and crosspoint electrical screwdrivers
largeish cheapo screwdriver for levering, using as a drift etc
soft faced hammer/mallet
grease gun
scissors
small properly sharp knife

Then if you get really keen, there's things like a headset race press, fork crown race fitting tool, wheel truing stand, gear hanger alignment tool etc etc.

If you've got a good tool shop locally there's generally no need to go for whole sets of spanners etc to just get the 2 or 3 sizes you need.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...the 'longers ' kit looks good to me, but it hasnt got any cable cutters, which the wiggle one does (and it for less cash).

Top Bottom