tools for drive train replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

durhamboheme

Hi

i'm gonna try and replace my whole drivetrain - bracket, chainset, chain and casette but need to know what tools will I need?

Whats the difference between a crank extractor and a bottom bracket socket.

cheers

Justin

raindog

er.....
durhamboheme said:
Hi

Whats the difference between a crank extractor and a bottom bracket socket.
A crank extractor is to take the cranks off the bb spindle.
A bb socket is to take the bb out of the frame.

durhamboheme said:
i'm gonna try and replace my whole drivetrain - bracket, chainset, chain and casette but need to know what tools will I need?

chain tool
crank extractor
BB extractor
spanners to fit both extractors
depending on type of cassette (freehub or freewheel) chain whip or other tools for removing cassatte
vice (for holding chainwhip while you try to turn the wheel & get cassatte off)
long hollow pipe to give extra leverage
first aid kit
swearbox

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If you have never attempted this before... you may want to just start with changing the cassette for the sake of argument....
Get that done and sorted before attempting owt else.

double swear box tho...
You may have to consider also that front mech and or rear mech may have to be swapped as well... dependent on what you intend to install.

It can be NEVER ending!
:thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Never mind can be .... it IS never ending..
If you change nunber of gears you'll prob need new shifters too.
My rear hub was freewheel type... and the drive train I wanted was only ever cassette type, so I ended changing the wheels as well. The only original bits left on my bike are now the frame,forks, headset, seat-post and brakes....the modifications cost more than the original bike, but I love what I got at the end of it, so although rarely cost effective as against new bike, it's not something I'd try to dissuade you from if you've got your heart set on it.

And don't forget that in all probability they will have changed the design of the tools needed to tighten the new bottom bracket etc etc so you may need them as well!

Top Bottom