Tooth Extraction: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not like it used to be. Most dentists are excellent. You'll be struggling to talk from the extractions but you won't feel much.

My brother is an expert at getting them out - got the knack at dental school and is a dentist now - he's looking at buying into a practice at the minute. Your fears are normal, and they are used to it - my brother has had people in your situation and once the treatment has been done, they've gone back and thanked him.

Our family dentist is a young bloke like my brother (actually knows my brother) and he is fantastic.

Stephenite

Membå
@PhilDawson8270 I do not like going to the dentists either. But these days they are much better. I had a tooth out a couple of months ago, and had stressed over it, found excuses to postpone the appointment, all sorts. It was a totally different experience to 25-30 years ago when i last had an extraction. The local anæsthetic works surprisingly well. I was told if i felt i needed more to raise my hand, but i didn't need to. You are going to be OK. Don't worry about it.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Thank you all for your comments, it is quite encouraging. It is now about 30 hours away (1530 tomorrow), my partner has agreed to come with me.

I am seemingly going through phases of being ok, then a wreck. I start with the thought it's 1 hour of uncomfortableness and it's done. The thought that although the closer it gets, that 1 hour later it will be over with. Then unexplicably it turns into the most terrible thing in my head.

I thought it might take my mind off it to have something to look forward too tomorrow, instead of just extractions. So I have a new guitar arriving tomorrow too :laugh:

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
It's not like it used to be. Most dentists are excellent. You'll be struggling to talk from the extractions but you won't feel much.

My brother is an expert at getting them out - got the knack at dental school and is a dentist now - he's looking at buying into a practice at the minute. Your fears are normal, and they are used to it - my brother has had people in your situation and once the treatment has been done, they've gone back and thanked him.

Our family dentist is a young bloke like my brother (actually knows my brother) and he is fantastic.

A worry I have is that when I had the consultation I was quite laid back. I have this thing where when I am scared of something I generally just go quiet and agree with everything. Which doesn't really help.

So I have a feeling the dentist thinks I will be fine, but I am intending on requesting Gas&Air when I get there. I think this is unique in my head, but like most things, I'm guessing it's common for dentists.

Does your brother have any ideas if it is possible to fulfil a request for gas & air on the day?

alicat

Legendary Member
Keep the thought of the new guitar in your head. Good luck, you are facing your fears and doing the right thing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not sure they will do gas & air on the day. When you start to feel the anxiety kicking up a level concentrate on counting backwards from a high number I find this helps take your mind off what they are doing. I am exactly as you describe and have found that the build up anxiety and the first 5 minutes are the worst once the Dentist gets going I am ok!

I have had my whole gum line opened up awake under local. Not sure I would want gas and air under those circumstance makes me feel a bit weird and out of control

Andrew_P

oh also as you are in a Max Fax will be much easier if they come across a stubborn one and you might find they stich the gum as well which I found much more comfortable. Right place and right people for what you are having done.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IME modern dentists are nothing like the brutes of old. Had dreadful experiences up to the age of 10. That did it for me until I was in my 2os. Took years to get over the fears and can still feel them rising, but at least controllable now..
Personally I try to take my head elsewhere when in the chair and because of past experiences with gas and air wouldn't now go near the stuff.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
IME modern dentists are nothing like the brutes of old. Had dreadful experiences up to the age of 10. That did it for me until I was in my 2os. Took years to get over the fears and can still feel them rising, but at least controllable now..
Personally I try to take my head elsewhere when in the chair and because of past experiences with gas and air wouldn't now go near the stuff.

My fear I think comes from a lack of anaesthetic during a root canal, that really did hurt. Gas and Air was a wonderful thing though when I broke my arm.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The dentists I have had who helped me rebuild my confidence always agreed a signal beforehand if something was hurting and more importantly they stopped what they were doing and either gave more anaesthetic or tried something different if I couldn't have any more.

Andrew_P

I have non/low adrenaline they thought I had an allergy to the normal one. I bet it will be over in less than 10/15 minute. I have had loads of dental/sinus problems and a few extractions through not going so best getting it sorted. I am now under the care of Guys oral medicine. Hindsight and all that.

Top Bottom