Tooth Extraction: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Bummer, how did they find out about your heart rate?!? Never had mine monitored in a Dentist\Max Fax - I can't stand sedation lack of control and all that. It was the afternoon appointment plus sitting in the waiting room for a long time that pushed you over. That's the other benefit to mornings they can't start the day behind. Gawd the waiting room is the worst. I have been known to drop the receptionist my mobile and ask them to call me when they are ready and I wait in the car park lol The smell and sounds and waiting do my head in, take me to the limit! I arrive bang on my appointment time never before
Oh yes they can! I've been kept waiting over 20 mins for a 9 am appointment. I've walked out before now when kept waiting with no explanation. On the other hand I once got a free upgrade from bog standard NHS filling to a white one (so they said) for not throwing too much of a wobbly when they were running very late.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I live less than a 10 minute walk from the surgery so I can time my arrival very accurately and get there with 2 minutes to spare.

I am one of the first patients in so there are never many others waiting when I get there.

The sounds of dentistry would not yet have started and anyway they would be masked by loud music played from my phone through earbuds.

I play Sudoku on the phone until I am called in and that helps prevent negative thoughts.

You are right about the smell of dental practices though. I had a 30 year gap between dental appointments but was immediately transported back to youthful trauma by the first whiff of it! I reckon a dab of perfume on the upper lip might help with that?
Guessing we are all from the same age group. I have allergies to strong perfumes but I do actively try and mouth breath at least until I am in the chair, although that can carry on for a few minutes even once they start they have asked me to stop as I am misting up the mirror. My phobia started @ 9 years old :-(

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Oh yes they can! I've been kept waiting over 20 mins for a 9 am appointment. I've walked out before now when kept waiting with no explanation. On the other hand I once got a free upgrade from bog standard NHS filling to a white one (so they said) for not throwing too much of a wobbly when they were running very late.
My surgery starts at 7.30am and 8am those are the only appointments I take!!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
My surgery starts at 7.30am and 8am those are the only appointments I take!!
Ah, I'll check what the earliest one is next time! I assumed at the time that the dentist was late for work. But the thing about dentists is that you don't want to make a fuss and annoy someone who is going to poke around inside your mouth with sharp instruments!

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Bummer, how did they find out about your heart rate?!?

I'm a natural worrier, I was checking heart rate with Apple Watch. They noticed when I went in, and stuck one of those finger clip things on. I must have looked obviously nervous, as they didn't question anything when I asked for sedation.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
I can't stand sedation lack of control and all that.

I'm the opposite, when something is out of my control. I am usually just happy to let it happen, because it HAS to happen. I had no issues with surgery when I broke my arm, or anything related to that. As by that point it was all out of my control, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Once I am given enough to drugs to not care, I will be fine (I hope)

adamangler

Veteran
I bottled an extraction twice not long ago. I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. first time I felt great right up until he pulled the injection needle out, I couldnt do it,started sweating and could feel myself going into panic I had to leave.

Second time I got as far as the surgery,tried to psyche myself up for 5 mind then legged it.

It's horrible having the anxiety, not at all worried about the pain. I don't know what I'm afraid of it north rational at all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bottled an extraction twice not long ago. I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. first time I felt great right up until he pulled the injection needle out, I couldnt do it,started sweating and could feel myself going into panic I had to leave.

Second time I got as far as the surgery,tried to psyche myself up for 5 mind then legged it.

It's horrible having the anxiety, not at all worried about the pain. I don't know what I'm afraid of it north rational at all.
Adam - I was the same when I had 2 teeth out in 2001.

I was a bundle of nerves going in and told the dentist that I had a history of fainting but he told me that he would tip the chair right back to ensure plenty of bloodflow to my head; no problem - I would be fine.

He started doing the injections and I felt each one going in and coming out. I stood it for the first 12 but number 13 got me ... I came round a couple of minutes later dripping sweat, and with a very scared looking dentist and dental nurse staring down at me!

My new approach seems to work - I don't look, I don't listen, and with the aid of the gel stuff on my gums - I don't feel anything either. I don't even know when the needle is being used. The dentist puts the anaesthetic in and gives it a few minutes to take effect then he pops one of my earpieces out and asks me if I can feel him probing the gums. Once he is sure that everything is ok, I put the earpiece back in and let him get on with it.

keithmac

Guru
As soon as I'm sat in the chair my eyes are firmly shut until I get out of it again!.

Been watching a few videos of wisdom tooth removal and they look oddly satisfying for some reason..

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
I thought I would update this.

I went to the pre-op. During this they did my height, weight, etc. Then they began to explain the procedure.

She paused for a moment and went to see the dentist next door. She said that I still seemed extremely anxious about it, so have offered to do the procedure under general anaesthetic. Which I graciously accepted.

Quite an amazing experience so far, and every dentist, and nurse I have seen have been very understanding and doing what they can to make me comfortable.

For me, this is the best possible outcome, go to sleep, wake up with a sore face and it's all done.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On the third attempt (after I bottled i it twice) today I had my wisdom tooth removed.

Almost fainted after the injections, room started to spin a bit. After that it was fine, hurts a fair bit now the anasthetic has worn off mind.Painkillers and a bag of frozen peas for the rest of the day. Glad it's all over.
Good news, Adam!

I really like having a healthy mouth again after many years of increasingly bad problems with my teeth.

Top Bottom