Tooth Extraction: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out under general anesthetic, they were growing near enough horizontally, this week i had to have a root filling .

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Long time to update.

But the pre op is done. And the admission is this Wednesday.

Broadside

Guru
Best of luck Phil. I had two wisdom teeth removed last month, everyone is different but you tend to hear the horror stories and not the good stuff. Mine came out in a single 45 min appointment, I didn't feel a thing and it was nothing more than uncomfortable for a few days, I can't describe it as pain, it was all very very easy.

As for your earlier point about the first time you will know if there is enough anaesthetic, it's not when they pull the tooth. They insert a tool to elevate the tooth before they pull it out and if you can't feel them elevating it from the socket then you won't feel them extracting it.

I was really concerned prior to going in but really there was absolutely nothing to worry about. I hope yours goes well too.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
It's done!

No pain in any of the 5 apart from one where I have several stitches but it's just discomfort, like somebody has punched me rather than pain.

Just fed up of the taste of blood then bleeding stops and starts at the moment. But may appear to be more as it's in my mouth mixed with saliva.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's done!

No pain in any of the 5 apart from one where I have several stitches but it's just discomfort, like somebody has punched me rather than pain.

Just fed up of the taste of blood then bleeding stops and starts at the moment. But may appear to be more as it's in my mouth mixed with saliva.
Yay!

After my 2 recent extractions, I found that the wounds healed in a week or two, but they left indentations where the teeth used to be. Those used to trap food particles, which was quite irritating. The indentations have gradually filled in with new gum tissue since then - I am running my tongue over where the teeth used to be and the gum tooth socket areas are almost perfect now.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yay!

After my 2 recent extractions, I found that the wounds healed in a week or two, but they left indentations where the teeth used to be. Those used to trap food particles, which was quite irritating. The indentations have gradually filled in with new gum tissue since then - I am running my tongue over where the teeth used to be and the gum tooth socket areas are almost perfect now.
You know that rolled up bit of cotton wool the dentist gives you, chomping down on that really helps.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You know that rolled up bit of cotton wool the dentist gives you, chomping down on that really helps.
Ah yes - I'd forgotten that. My gums actually started bleeding again a few hours after I got home so I ended up chomping a pad for a few hours to make sure it stopped. (Warfarin makes me bleed for longer than most people, but even so the chomping did the trick.)

I needed a lot of paracetamol the first day, some the second day, and I was okay without after that.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
if I still have bleeding tomorrow. I'll try get booked in to see my dentist.

The hospital didn't give much in the way of advice beyond soft food for 2 weeks. Don't do any exercise to raise blood pressure.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Swelling in the tough tooth is going down now. The soreness in my jaw in that area is also easing day by day. Today is the first day I've not needed to take ibuprofen after being lay on my mouth all night.

My only worry now is developing dry socket, but this is the 4th day since extraction, so hopefully I should be clear.

Top Bottom