Top cap steerer question on new bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
[QUOTE 4848179, member: 45"]Why not get two spacers half the height of those on there at the moment? Put one of them above and one below the stem, replacing one of the originals, and you've definitely got the pinch bolts on the steerer tube but have only lowered the bars a smidge.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that result in the handlebars being lower than they currently are? I have an issue atm with neck ache so I really dont want to lower the handlebar height.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The bike looks set up fine. There's always a little bit of stem/spacer proud of the steerer, and as long as the top clamp isn't clamping above the top of the steerer then it's fine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey, how many times do people have to say "it looks fine"?

To the OP, the system is blindingly simple. Even if you think you have no mechanical aptitude, take it apart and see for yourself the way it works. You can even take out the forks without fear. Replace the different bits in the same order they came off. The system allows you to fine-tune your bike setup in a way a quill stem would not have done and it's robust and easy to dismantle. Just be sure to tighten the top cap down reasonably snug and rock the bike against the front brake to check for looseness in the steerer bearings before you tighten the pinch bolts. Don't over-tighten the cap and cause the steering to bind.

Top Bottom