Top cap steerer question on new bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
So have recently bought a new Cube CX and a Dolan L'Etape Carbon road bike.

Both have no spacer above the stem, it's almost flush from the top of the stem to the top cap.

@themosquitoking is of the opinion something is very wrong, but it's strange to me that both new bikes would be like this, the Cube built by a LBS and the Dolan by Dolan themselves.

Will post pictures showing the Dolan setup.

IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0123.JPG

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Looks ok apart from the scrape markings on the inside of the steerer from the star nut, and the steerer looks to have been cut a bit roughly, I presume an aluminium steerer?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You don't absolutely have to put a spacer above the stem unless you have a 1 1/8" stem (with shim) on a 1" steerer, then you really do need one.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As long as the top of the steerer is a couple of mm below the top of the stem or the highest spacer you're fine; the cap just pulls the whole stack together then you lock it with the stem pinch bolts. After that the cap becomes a piece of trim only; you could even remove it.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
As long as the top of the steerer is a couple of mm below the top of the stem or the highest spacer you're fine; the cap just pulls the whole stack together then you lock it with the stem pinch bolts. After that the cap becomes a piece of trim only; you could even remove it.

Its more like 4mm or so below the top of the stem. Is that still ok?

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
That looks spot on.

I assume there is no play when you rock the bike with the front brake on?

Not at all, although I had more audible noises from the front after I had switched the stem over (to try and eliminate some neck pain I was getting), but that was my own fault as I had tightened the top bolt after tightening the stem bolts. Untightened all then did it right when I came back.

But no play.

Its more like 4mm or so below the top of the stem. Is that still ok?
It's OK as long as the stem top pinch bolt is not level or above the top of the steerer. If there is not enough steerer meat above that bolt, it causes problems.With an aluminium steerer it causes creaking noises and with an carbon steerer it cracks it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd say that, as long as the centre-line of the pinch-bolt is below the top of the steerer, it's okay.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I'll check tomorrow to see where the bolt lies in relation to the top of the steerer. I reckon it's close to being level with it. Would turning the stem upside down change the dynamic of the pinch bolt location? Dolan were the ones who suggested turning it over to get a little more handlebar height.

I'll check tomorrow to see where the bolt lies in relation to the top of the steerer. I reckon it's close to being level with it. Would turning the stem upside down change the dynamic of the pinch bolt location? Dolan were the ones who suggested turning it over to get a little more handlebar height.

No, from the photo it looks symmetrical.

Top Bottom