Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I quite like it. It's a bit of entertainment for a Sunday evening while lounging on the sofa with a glass or two of wine.

Grand Tour was ok, it was trying a bit too hard but I think the next series will be better when they've calmed down a bit.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I gave the last series a wide birth, but I like this series very much as they are not trying too hard. It's funny and enjoyable and plenty of originality.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I gave the last series a wide birth, but I like this series very much as they are not trying too hard. It's funny and enjoyable and plenty of originality.

Putting snow chains on a Lamborghini to race it up a ski slope was pretty original :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I thought it was ok. Not up to the glory days, needless to say, but then they were long gone long before the demise of the three stooges. Even as a Chris Evans fan I'd be the first to admit that he just didn't work in the TG format. MLB makes a passable Head Buffoon, and though neither of his sidekicks is James May, nor is either of them Richard Hammond, so, win some lose some. The three of them seem genuinely to enjoy each others' company, which is absolutely crucial. And other aspects of the programme, like the fantastic filming, remain top notch. I'll stick with it for the mo (having given up on the last series after ep2.)

It's definitely an improvement. But they're trying too hard to make it identical in every way including the chemistry between the 3 presenters. The Beeb should have gone for 2 or 4 presenters and moved things around a bit. There are too many bits that don't work as they're not as they were but they appear to be set up to be the same (if you see what I mean!).

Jody

Stubborn git
There are too many bits that don't work as they're not as they were but they appear to be set up to be the same (if you see what I mean!).

Its a formula the BBC are holding onto in the faint hope of keepings its previous commercial success.

The programme is certainly watchable but it needs the format sorting. Chris Harris was a good presenter before Top Gear and did some great youtube vids. The other two are OK but a little wooden.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's definitely an improvement. But they're trying too hard to make it identical in every way including the chemistry between the 3 presenters. The Beeb should have gone for 2 or 4 presenters and moved things around a bit. There are too many bits that don't work as they're not as they were but they appear to be set up to be the same (if you see what I mean!).

They could've used Mary Berry now she's no longer got Bake Off.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
They could have got Nigel Farage in to replace Clarkson. Popular with the BBC and looking for a new career.

Jody

Stubborn git
They could have got Nigel Farage...

and called it Top Sneer

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ten years ago, Top Gear was a very reasonable entertainment show about 3 middle-aged men being idiots. But over time the originality waned, the humour became gradually weaker, and I found the actual car reviews to be extremely tedious. To 99% of the audience those cars are ridiculously expensive and utterly impractical.

The rebooted show with Chris Evans was terrible but this latest series has brought the show back from the brink. There are early signs of chemistry between the three presenters, but that needs to be nurtured over time, and the Beb need to decided if Matt is there for the long-term or not.

As for the original trio, I really didn't think much of the Grand Tour. The concepts and photography are impressive, but the quality of writing has really gone downhill since they left the Beeb. The 'humour' is too forced and often quite painful to watch. I'd rarely use words like subtlety or sophistication when describing Clarkson, Hammond and May's style of presenting, but they used to have some of those qualities. Not so much these days.

Drago

Legendary Member
I still don't watch it. Clarkson is an arse, but he's an entertaining one, and the mayhem that ensues when he and his mates behave like idiots can't simply be distilled and the recipe recreated elsewhere.

Top Bottom