Top-notch Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
In that case, much as I know you'll hate me saying it...do the exam. The bike will still be there the following weekend, and the weather might be nicer. Try to be patient (says the girl with a broken leg going on a bike tour!!)

OP
OP
J

JackE

Über Member
Tim B, thanks for your advice. I have spoken to Paul Hewitt and was impressed by his very knowledgable yet easy-going approach. He builds a touring wheel that takes both 28 and 32mm tyres. I will be buying from him whether it's just a frame (+wheels) or the complete machine as getting a proper fit is very important to me.
Apologies to all you Thorn/Mercian fans out there, but I'm leaning towards the V.N. Amazon at present
You also make an interesting point that when one is trying to combine an audax and a tourer in one machine, titanium has a lot going for it. As well as speaking to Paul H, I've been to see Paul Smith at Bikeplus and he basically says more or less the same thing. He rides a Yukon, which is ideal for credit card touring but not great as a "load carrier".
Would appreciate hearing from any Amazon owners out there.

tomb1960

I just want to add another plug for Mr Hewitt, amazing service, beautiful bikes, spectacular attention to detail - never ever been so pleased to part with money before (or since) in my life, I have a Cheviot SE.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
amazing service,
This does need a little qualifying, as in this 'retail centric' world of today. amazing service can be interpreted in different ways.

It has to be seen in context. Hewitts is not a branch of some global retail empire. It's a small shop run be two shy blokes in Lancashire. Sometimes the standard 'customer service greeting' of "Hello, how are you, my name is Paul and I'll be your server on this occasion, have a nice day" is abbreviated to a slight nod as you enter the shop.

However they have limitless patience when answering questions and will chat away for ages about bikes and especially wheels. It just sometimes feels like you're intruding into somewhere private when you go into the place. (But at least you can get in the new shop - so things are improving. The previous shop was so small you had to wait outside on the pavement until the previous customer was done).

wallabyhunter

"Hello, how are you, my name is Paul and I'll be your server on this occasion, have a nice day"
;-)

Another ++ for Paul Hewitt. I live in Aus, was in Leyland last Sept just asking about bikes etc great service, gave me all the info I needed. I had to go back to UK in Feb, & again discussed the why's & wherefores. I don't know if it's standard service, but I spent 2 hours talking to him & getting fitted & that was before he knew I was going to buy one.

Good people, good service & if the comments here are anything to go by good products. (I will know that in June when I pick up the Cheviot!)
gb

Top Bottom