Top speed. Chain rings ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hey guys,
Will changing my front chain rings help with better top end speed???
I have a carrera tdf with a 52/42 chain ring set (if I counted correctly)
Also if I change it, will it effect my climbing, as I find climbing ok with how it is currently

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Top speed on flat or downhill.

Will changing my front chain rings help with better top end speed???

In absolute terms, yes it will. But seriously, you are a beginner aren't you? If you think you need a bigger gear than most club racers and some pros ride on, then something isn't right.

Anyway, there comes a point on most descents where it's better just to stop pedalling and tuck in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
In absolute terms, yes it will. But seriously, you are a beginner aren't you? If you think you need a bigger gear than most club racers and some pros ride on, then something isn't right.
Yes I am most definitely a beginner, this issue has bugged me from the word go. Can you tell me if this chain ring set up is normal or not? Very new to this lol!
A few newbies are faster than me on the down hills and have the same bike. Not much heavier than me either.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Can you tell me if this chain ring set up is normal or not? Very new to this lol!
Your chain ring set up is what's popularly known as a standard double (as distinct from a compact double, which would be something like 50/34). It's what pro racers generally use but the compact set up is probably more popular for club riders at the moment as it's easier for climbing.
A few newbies are faster than me on the down hills and have the same bike. Not much heavier than me either.
If they're faster than you downhill on the same type of bike it's probably down to technique rather than the bike set up.;) (Don't ask me about that though. Not an expert.)

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Ok excuse my ignorance here....
I have 8 rings at the back (cassette) the largest ring with 26t and the smallest with 12t

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What speed are you reaching before you can't pedal any more?

With that gearing, if you're spinning out at anything less than 40mph, you simply aren't pedalling hard enough. You should be able to hit 120rpm - at least for short spells - which will give you a top speed of about [41mph]* with your gearing.

So you just need to learn to spin your legs faster.

*edit: changed after recalculating based on 52x12 rather than assumed 52x11.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Perhaps, there are some big hills here, so some big decents to match. One in particular I can get 44-46mph but then I'm spinning out. Most get 50+ going down it. Only 16 gears on my bike also

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Perhaps, there are some big hills here, so some big decents to match. One in particular I can get 44-46mph but then I'm spinning out. Most get 50+ going down it. Only 16 gears on my bike also

I'd say you're doing ok, in that case. Carry on working on your cadence and the higher speeds will come - you can practise increasing your cadence by riding in a lower gear on the flat.

fossala

Guru
You are complaning about going 44-46mph? I do over that sometimes but what are you trying to prove? Anyway, once over 40mph, I just tuck in. Maybe invest in some aero bars.

Top Bottom