Top speed. Chain rings ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Spin faster. When you hit 40 get into an aero tuck. Elbows in, either on the drops or with your hands close together on the tops, chin an inch or two from the bars. Some people get off the saddle and sit on the top tube. Not for the faint hearted :eek: Another big part of descending is knowing the right line to take, get it wrong and you will scrub loads of speed off and worse may even have an off. Personally I would stick with the gears you have and work on your technique:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Spin faster. When you hit 40 get into an aero tuck. Elbows in, either on the drops or with your hands close together on the tops, chin an inch or two from the bars. Some people get off the saddle and sit on the top tube. Not for the faint hearted :eek: Another big Part of descending is knowing the right line to take, get it wrong and you will scrub loads of speed off and worse may even have an off. Personally I would stick with the gears you have and work on your technique:thumbsup:

My technique is to grab the brakes and drag them all the way down. Then go kaboom up the next hill!

Hey guys,
Will changing my front chain rings help with better top end speed???
I have a carrera tdf with a 52/42 chain ring set (if I counted correctly)
Also if I change it, will it effect my climbing, as I find climbing ok with how it is currently

My fastest ever speed was 50mph on a serious downhill. The chainring happened to be a 50 and with a 11-28 cassette. Just work on increasing cadence.

screenman

Legendary Member
Perhaps, there are some big hills here, so some big decents to match. One in particular I can get 44-46mph but then I'm spinning out. Most get 50+ going down it. Only 16 gears on my bike also
Have they got 2 magnets on their wheels or is this just and internet speed?

Either way pedal faster, if you cannot get 180rpm + then you are wimping out.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Don't worry about it. Any old chopper can ride downhill quickly. It's going up that really seperates the cyclists from the bike riders.

Group rides = me waiting at the top for everyone else, them waiting at the bottom for me, lmao! I am a massive pussy coming down hill, I ride faster on the flat on my TT bike than I do on some descents!

U

User6179

This is according to strava

Well my top speed is 86mph!!!:smile:

Hey guys,
Will changing my front chain rings help with better top end speed???
I have a carrera tdf with a 52/42 chain ring set (if I counted correctly)
Also if I change it, will it effect my climbing, as I find climbing ok with how it is currently

I think most of the replies here have hit the button.

I'm slightly terrified at the suggestion you use aerobars to increase descending speed, but that may just be me.

My normal road bike runs 35 and 12 as its highest gear. This allows me to pedal up to about 43 or 44 mph on a descent. After that, it's gravity and air resistance.

I think the main thing about fast (ish) descending is confidence and being comfortable on your bike. Confidence comes with experience and with the knowledge that everything is appropriately tight, straight, inflated and lubed (not all the same component).

If you want to descend super-quickly, getting your cadence up will help.

As to only having 8 gears, there was a time when that was a pretty cool number and people descended fast in those days too... often the missing gears on an 8-speed cassette in comparison to a 10-speed are in the middle of the range, not the extremities.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

I'm slightly terrified at the suggestion you use aerobars to increase descending speed, but that may just be me.

My normal road bike runs 35 and 12 as its highest gear. This allows me to pedal up to about 43 or 44 mph on a descent. After that, it's gravity and air resistance.

I think the main thing about fast (ish) descending is confidence and being comfortable on your bike. Confidence comes with experience and with the knowledge that everything is appropriately tight, straight, inflated and lubed (not all the same component).

If you want to descent super-quickly, getting your cadence up will help.

As to only having 8 gears, there was a time when that was a pretty cool number and people descended fast in those days too... often the missing gears on an 8-speed cassette in comparison to a 10-speed are in the middle of the range, not the extremities.

Have fun!

Not just you. If the descent has anything more than very gentle curves, then you won't want to be on aero bars really, the level of control is reduced and you won't have access to the brakes!

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran

If you want to descent super-quickly, getting your cadence up will help.

Have fun!
Cheers appreciate it

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not just you. If the descent has anything more than very gentle curves, then you won't want to be on aero bars really, the level of control is reduced and you won't have access to the brakes!
Don't think anyone has actually suggested aero bars. :wacko: I think he is getting confused with an aero tuck. :whistle:

Top Bottom