Top speed. Chain rings ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't rely on Strava, they estimate speeds down. A bike computer would be more accurate.

Strava doesn't estimate the speed - it simply takes the data recorded from the GPS unit. In any case, I don't find that my GPS times are any different than from when I used to use a bike computer.

mattobrien

Guru
Strava doesn't estimate the speed - it simply takes the data recorded from the GPS unit. In any case, I don't find that my GPS times are any different than from when I used to use a bike computer.
As an average in a ride Strava is fine, it measures distance and time and comes up with an average. As for finding an individual top speed, it is utterly hopeless and very inaccurate. For individual top speeds a bike computer is much more accurate. Some of the Strava estimates are frankly laughable. Either that or I am faster than many cars.

on the road

Über Member
Don't rely on Strava, they estimate speeds down. A bike computer would be more accurate.
I was really talking about maximum speeds. I find that my maximum speed on Strava tends to be lower then what my bike computer records, although I'm using a mobile.

As an average in a ride Strava is fine, it measures distance and time and comes up with an average. As for finding an individual top speed, it is utterly hopeless and very inaccurate. For individual top speeds a bike computer is much more accurate. Some of the Strava estimates are frankly laughable. Either that or I am faster than many cars.
I was really talking about maximum speeds. I find that my maximum speed on Strava tends to be lower then what my bike computer records, although I'm using a mobile.

Guys - Strava doesn't do any of that. It only computes the numbers it is given by whichever GPS unit you use to record and upload the ride. You should be blaming Garmin, or Bryton, or maybe even the US Government's original 1973 Navstar programme - but it ain't Strava's fault.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
In absolute terms, yes it will. But seriously, you are a beginner aren't you? If you think you need a bigger gear than most club racers and some pros ride on, then something isn't right.

Anyway, there comes a point on most descents where it's better just to stop pedalling and tuck in.
Yes, sometimes, moving to a more aerodynamic position is more effective than pedalling harder.

puffinbilly

Veteran
My normal road bike runs 35 and 12 as its highest gear. This allows me to pedal up to about 43 or 44 mph on a descent. After that, it's gravity and air resistance.

Is that correct? Or is it a 53/12 combination? I'm new to all this gearing and trying to learn what I need to know for my bikes set up.

At present I seem to run out of gears at 50/12 when I hit 35mph going uphill.:wacko:

Linford

Perhaps, there are some big hills here, so some big decents to match. One in particular I can get 44-46mph but then I'm spinning out. Most get 50+ going down it. Only 16 gears on my bike also

It begs the question why you aren't wearing motorbike clothing as if it goes wrong at that speed, you are going to need some serious skin grafting.
As a beginner, you should focus on improving your ascent ability. I'm fairly pants, but have noticed an improvement in this with time.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Guys - Strava doesn't do any of that. It only computes the numbers it is given by whichever GPS unit you use to record and upload the ride. You should be blaming Garmin, or Bryton, or maybe even the US Government's original 1973 Navstar programme - but it ain't Strava's fault.

Actually to some degree it is.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
As a beginner I AM focussing on my ascent abilities ( I never said I wasn't)
As I said before, I am generally happy with my climbing (still improving all the time)..... But I still want to improve this area of my cycling....... ' I Cant help the fact that I get a rush out of going fast down a hill'

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Not quite, weight has quite a large bearing on the matter to.

Not in reality from my own experience, weight only has a large bearing on acceleration, so you benefit in situations where the pace changes such as when climbing.
On the flats, where aerodynamics can be up to 90% of your resistance, saving drag is the answer for increased performance.

My Tarmac is substantially lighter than my Venge, yet on the routes I ride regularly I am consistently unable to match the speeds and times I can do on the Venge when using the Tarmac.
Im with @Rob3rt on this one,

Top Bottom