Top speed. Chain rings ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Further, I didn't initially comment on the extent of the noise, I simply said the data is noisy, you questioned this fact, then you further stated, in a roundabout way, that the effect was minimal. I simply said this is not strictly the case and that the effect of the noise CAN be substantial. So my comment is no more irrelevant than your own.

Again, you need to go back and read what I said. I asked who said it was noisy and whether the noise materially affected the data's integrity.

Not economic for a free web app? 1st error here, Strava is not wholly a free app!

Strava does indeed have a premium option - with 'option' being the operative word. So it is a free app, to all intents and purposes. Are you seriously trying to score a point there?

lukesdad

Nope as said they are compact units, lighter than me.
Interesting.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Spin faster. When you hit 40 get into an aero tuck. Elbows in, either on the drops or with your hands close together on the tops, chin an inch or two from the bars. Some people get off the saddle and sit on the top tube. Not for the faint hearted :eek: Another big part of descending is knowing the right line to take, get it wrong and you will scrub loads of speed off and worse may even have an off. Personally I would stick with the gears you have and work on your technique:thumbsup:
Tried this morning...... HUGE help. Thank you. I managed to break the 50mph barrier (51). Just by tucking in more than peddling. (basically free wheeling)
Thanks for the advice guys

sreten

Hi,

Heavier fit people do go down hills faster (and up hills slower). The CdA of a rider
twice as heavy as another if you assume all dimensions are increased by the
cube root of 2 increases by (cube root of 2)squared, i.e. ~ 1.6. Ergo the big
riders terminal velocity will be higher due to weight versus drag issues.

Going from a 12 to an 11 minimum on the back would mean if you currently
spin out at 40mph you would spin out at 43.5mph, i.e. going 9% faster.

As a beginner I'd say its safe to assume you can improve your top cadence
by quite a bit more than 9% in the long run. As said past a certain point a
good tuck is lot faster than pedalling :

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tFpNsZXWgc

" I seem to run out of pressure in the pedals or resistance even tho iv a lot more to give in terms of energy."

That is running out of cadence I reckon rather than gearing. Applying power
pedaling fast takes time, fitness and practice. Only after a while will you
know how useful a minimum 11 would be compared to a 12 for you.

(Racers of course change all the gearing to suit each stage of a race.)

52/12 is a big enough big gear for most, 34 mph @ 100 rpm, 25mm tyres.
At 50+ I live with 52/14 max, 30mph @ 100 rpm, 32mm tyres, which I
can push to about 36 mph downhill before coasting makes more sense.
My top speed downhill is a bit limp, with my non-aero bull horns.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Top Bottom