1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Touring Tips

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Maggot, 10 Jul 2007.

1. JohnClimber

JohnClimber Veteran

robing and uphillstruggler like this.
  2. robing

robing Well-Known Member

And you can use them to cover your saddle to keep it dry when storing the bike outside.

3. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

this 7 quid stove ended up costing me 35 quid - although I got a free emergency foil sleeping bag (to keep in the car)and one of those steel strike fire things (multi uses) for nowt :whistle:

4. jonyjony

jonyjony Well-Known Member

If you are planning to cycle the Canal du Midi in France , and if you stop at "chez Phillipes Bar " at the side of the canal ( some 10 klms from Beziers ) then DO NOT have one of his cheese and ham baguettes. I was stupid enough to do this and within 10 mtrs of leaving the bar i fell of my bike into a bed of nettles .....laughed about it ...did not feel the pain until the morning when i realized i had left my panniers in the nettles ,as i could not manage to lift the bike up with all that weight on it ...had a terrible headache the next morning whilst cycling back to pick up my panniers . It may have been the mustard he uses ,i am not sure , but avoid at all costs .. The only good thing was after every 4 beers or so "Phillipe" would get a round in , great beer.......shite sarnys
    Ohh..... another tip.....i take a couple of clothes pegs and use these to clip any washed , but not yet dry , tee shirt etc to my shoulders so it "flaps " dry as i ride .

uphillstruggler and raleighnut like this.
  5. chaingangclub

chaingangclub Active Member

Might be of interest, I've just cycled solo from bordeaux to calais in January and am running a blog which will have lots of tips and tricks to keeping comfortable on your tour plus some kit reviews and guest blogs. I hope it's helpful. Www.wheretheresawheel.com/cyclechat

6. fatblokish

fatblokish Über Member

Sounds like a good idea, but does this shag up the paint on the top tube?

7. Brains

Brains Guru

Not if wrapped in the tent pole bag

8. freiston

freiston Well-Known Member

This might not be for everyone, and it has been derided elsewhere, but when I used to cycle-camp, I had a plastic bowl (like a large mixing bowl but I suppose a small washing up bowl would do as well) which I packed stuff into before slipping it into a pannier - it takes up hardly any extra room if you pack around it and in it with a bit of thought and it also can be used to provide some protection for delicate/crushable items. Then you also have a bowl for clothes-washing, personal washing and dish-washing.

Alan Frame likes this.
  9. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

I know this is an old post so possibly you had a temporary issue but i find maps.me fine. I find google maps irritating - if you download maps for offline use it appears to frequently insist that you download them all over again.

10. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded. Staff Member

We used Google maps live which worked brilliantly.
    We did try maps.me but didn't get on with it.

11. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Fair enough, thanks for the reply, but i have become a bit of a puritan/luddhite in my relative old age - the idea of using an internet connection for a map rubs me up the wrong way :smile: (i use a garmin e20 as well with osm)

12. planetcondor

planetcondor Formerly Kevon

Yes great stuff been using it for years.

13. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

I use one from Sainburys', works just as well as the King of Shaves stuff (which I used to use) for 99p.

14. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

yes it may have been the original marketed in the UK but there are lots of other shaving oils - it's a good system for travelling - and the oil seems to help if the water is a bit dodgy/salty.

15. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

The expiry date (after which the Google Maps app prompts you to download the offline map again) is normally set to 1 month after the last download. I found this was more than enough for my recent trip (where I spent 2.5 weeks overseas). Also, I don't think the map expiring prevents you from continuing to use it.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2017