Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Sounds like a good idea, but does this shag up the paint on the top tube?
Not if wrapped in the tent pole bag

freiston

Veteran
This might not be for everyone, and it has been derided elsewhere, but when I used to cycle-camp, I had a plastic bowl (like a large mixing bowl but I suppose a small washing up bowl would do as well) which I packed stuff into before slipping it into a pannier - it takes up hardly any extra room if you pack around it and in it with a bit of thought and it also can be used to provide some protection for delicate/crushable items. Then you also have a bowl for clothes-washing, personal washing and dish-washing.

Currently going through Europe ( The Netherlands,Belgium and France )

We are now using google maps (cycle mode) whilst using roaming ( via vodafone £3 a day ) and GPS.

I mention this purely as we had difficulty using either maps.me or google on pure GPS.

Google maps has been brilliant through Holland. Belgium next week so lets hope it continues.
I know this is an old post so possibly you had a temporary issue but i find maps.me fine. I find google maps irritating - if you download maps for offline use it appears to frequently insist that you download them all over again.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply, but i have become a bit of a puritan/luddhite in my relative old age - the idea of using an internet connection for a map rubs me up the wrong way :smile: (i use a garmin e20 as well with osm)

planetcondor

Formerly Kevon
Not sure if this counts but if you are fussed about shaving, King of Shaves shaving oil is much better than just using soap and saves carrying foam. The tiny bottle weighs about 20 grams and has lasted me the last four tours!
Yes great stuff been using it for years.

yes it may have been the original marketed in the UK but there are lots of other shaving oils - it's a good system for travelling - and the oil seems to help if the water is a bit dodgy/salty.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I know this is an old post so possibly you had a temporary issue but i find maps.me fine. I find google maps irritating - if you download maps for offline use it appears to frequently insist that you download them all over again.
The expiry date (after which the Google Maps app prompts you to download the offline map again) is normally set to 1 month after the last download. I found this was more than enough for my recent trip (where I spent 2.5 weeks overseas). Also, I don't think the map expiring prevents you from continuing to use it.

Last edited:
I had the impression that they were no longer avaiilable if youndidn't redownload. I like my maps to stick around. I also didn't like its constant naggin to tell it where i was, with the false implication/threat that it would refuse to work if i didn't. Why the hellnshould i tell a map any more than my toilet paper or toothpaste where I am?

By the by, I now use osmand+. Very good, all offline.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Always mount tyres with the pressure marking next to the valve......it stops all that annoying searching to find it!
Why would you consult the min/max 'pressure marking' when inflating your tyres? The pressure you pump your tyres to is a figure (well two: front and rear differ) which you will 'know', as a sensible rider will check their pressures weekly and over the life of a tyre this information will become completely familiar (and it's not the 'max' shown on the tyre wall).
It is aesthetic practice to align the maker's logo (on the side of the tyre) with the valve (to make it easier to find quickly - for those weekly pressure checks/top ups).

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 100

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why would you consult the min/max 'pressure marking' when inflating your tyres? The pressure you pump your tyres to is a figure (well two: front and rear differ) which you will 'know', as a sensible rider will check their pressures weekly and over the life of a tyre this information will become completely familiar (and it's not the 'max' shown on the tyre wall).
I have encountered one tyre (the horrible old Specialized Armadillo) where the "min" pressure was well above my usual pressure and was actually necessary for avoiding pinch flats.

It is aesthetic practice to align the maker's logo (on the side of the tyre) with the valve (to make it easier to find quickly - for those weekly pressure checks/top ups).
But if your rim has logos or markings near the valve, or if the spokes either side of the valve are a different colour, don't waste your time faffing with the tyre position IMO.

Ajax Bay

Guru
if your rim has logos or markings near the valve, or if the spokes either side of the valve are a different colour,
Most rims' 'maker's logo' are placed opposite the valve holes. From the side and above (ie standing up) the tyre wall is much more visible. What sort of esoteric/exhalted riding community are you inhabiting where riders have different coloured spokes? Is such use (eg Mavic Ksyrium) widespread in Norfolk?

Top Bottom