Top Touring Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dunno if it's been said before but I found a compass invaluable for getting out of cities in the morning when the signposting is sketchy - it at least helps to know that your heading in roughly the right direction.
The other thing I try to do is try to get an idea of how to exit the town the evening before, either by checking the signosts as you arrive or asking a friendly local. I've wasted a lot of time by hunting round for the minor, unmarked roads the following morning.

Bigtallfatbloke

one idea that may suit some...

rather than pack a tent footprint take a second sleepmat (full length). It weighs the same and can be used under the groundsheet as protection whilst at the same time offering you a more comfortable nights sleep on two mats instead of one. I carry an inflatable alpmat and a blacks mat....I also took the tarp as well on my first tour as I was unsure if I would need the tarp...but in hindsight I could have saved weight and ditched the tarp and used the second mat as I just described.

Bigtallfatbloke

One thing I've been wondering BTFB, did you lock your bike up at night to something / just cabled through the wheels and frame / didn't bother ?

I took two combi locks with me (seperate combinations). I always locked the bike. One goes through both wheels and frame and to a pole or fence etc, the other goes through my brookes saddle rear rack & wheel & frame to a pole or fence etc. At night if there was no pole/fence I would lock up the bike to itself and tie a guy rope to the frame with a clove hitch knot (ex boy scott see:biggrin:).

I didnt have any real issues though or fears...the most risky times were outside supermarkets when shopping for the evening meal.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cheap Calories

For a good stuffing of cheap stodge any time of day, most supermarkets do all day breakfasts for a two or three quid. Don't worry about the grease, you'll burn it off.....

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Use the hotel toilet cistern to hide your stash.

campagman

Guru
I bought some Shimano Sandals this year and have been very happy with them. When the weather is warm enough (+13 dec.C) to use them they are the only shoes I need to take on Tour. This is both weight and space saving.

mascott

vaseline

on lejog it kept two of us arse pain free.....
the third struggled the whole time with a distressing under carriage
it turned out that he had been using the tiny pot of vaseline that people put on their lips and was speading it as thin as marmite. We on the other hand were covered in the stuff but we returned to london with tip top rear ends

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Girly tips but:

1) Take loads of conditioner, cleanser and moisturiser. You'll need more than expected.
2) Take loads of hair elastics and pens as they tend to disappear overnight
3) Assos cream is worth every £ and every lb

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
mascott said:
vaseline

on lejog it kept two of us arse pain free.....
the third struggled the whole time with a distressing under carriage
it turned out that he had been using the tiny pot of vaseline that people put on their lips and was speading it as thin as marmite. We on the other hand were covered in the stuff but we returned to london with tip top rear ends
And greasy kecks ?? :blush:

Top Bottom