torch for front lights??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Had a browse for the Exposure Joystick.

Hmmm.... What kind of a halfwit spends £145 on a bike lamp?

Now, my CybaLite cost £40 and is pretty damned good.

Hmmm... What shall I buy with the other £105 ?????

RSV_Ecosse

Those wee Tesco AA Cree torches are superb.

They work great on the bike and are so good as torches, I went back and bought one for using at work. They are better than the torches we get issued!!!!

jimboalee

I'm disappointed with this Tesco Torch. My opinion is - I happened to pick one with a particularly undersize inside diameter, or - Tesco got them for really cheap because they're inside diameter is undersize and NiMh cells are a tight squeeze.

jimboalee

Tesco lamp done. Needed a 10 thou cut.
The front unscrews to leave a 'tube' I could clamp.

2 x 2700 mAhr cells should give 2.5 hours, so its charge the batteries at work.

Not wasted money, as I have plenty of rechargables and a spare charger.

Had a look at the Exposure Joystick on Wiggle. Nice piece of kit, but too pricey for my liking. The 240 Lumens compared with the 120 of the Cybalite is due to the same Lux from half the reflective area. Same power LED, me thinks. Its the Li-Ion that jacks the price up.
As for Pikies. I've never seen one riding a push bike. They prefer horses, which is a good thing for us in the suburbs, 'cus you can't put bike shoot on your roses.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
The 240 Lumens compared with the 120 of the Cybalite is due to the same Lux from half the reflective area. Same power LED, me thinks. Its the Li-Ion that jacks the price up.
Lumens is power, Lux is brightness of illumination.
The Joystick will be the same as 2 Cybalites, assuming the same beam shape.
The LED inside will be the same, but the Joystick will be running it at full power and the Cybalite at half power, probably because the heat sinking isn't good enough for more.

PS
is that Arthur Balfour in your avatar?

PrettyboyTim

The jubilee straps did a good job; I put a bit of an old inner tube around the torch and wrapped a bit of inner tube around the handlebar before tightening the straps. They make a great, very solid mount. I ended up only putting one on my bars - I strapped the other on my helmet with some velcro. I've yet to see what they're like when riding though.

Bit worried about being able to fit NiMH batteries in though. I don't have any equipment to enlarge the diameter of the tube.

I might be able to do a hack like the one this guy did, converting a couple of them to proper bike lights:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4055.30

Downward

Guru
The Twofish Brackets are on Ebay for £5.02 delivered - Takes about 2 weeks from Hong Kong though.

The Batteries that should come with the Uniross 15 minute Charger
(These Blue ones) fit in the Torch. (Below Link)

However they have changed to Black Batteries which don't fit.

http://www.totallyentertainment.co.uk/uniross-sprint-15-minute-battery-charger-2734-p.asp

as others have said the batteries do vary in size, but so do the tesco torches. i bought three, and each has a different inner diameter. i managed to get batteries to fit in one by enlarging it's diameter with some course wet/dry wrapped around some dowel. thats only going to work if the diameter is only a bit out, otherwise you'll be there all day ;-)
cheers, velocidad.

jimboalee

There's another thread started regarding the Tesco torch.

My suggestion to that guy was to get a Rat's tail file.

I went out this morning on the club run, and the lens of my torch filled with rain.
No wories though, the lens assembly unscrews.

I gave it a dark run last night and to be honest, for a tenner, its a real bargain.

jimboalee

I looked at the C size torch while I was holding the AA size one in my sweaty hand.

If any are considering the C size torch, take a C rechargable with you to Tesco and try it for size.

philr

i use the fenix lights, for my long very dark country road commute.

i travel approx 8 miles of my commute in total darkness with no light pollution for miles and miles.

anyway i find using two fenix torches one being the l2d and the other the slightly less bright l2t (i think it is).

using the two fish blocks things work fine, the brighter light pointed a little further down the road and the less bright one closer to my front wheel, i get excellent illumination of the road ahead.

but they go through batteries like there's no tomorrow, i must get rechargables sorted out.

only disadvantage is along with cycle computer no room left on bars

jimboalee

Fenix. Good kit. The L2T is prob the Luxeon 5W LED chip. The L2D will prob be the same chip but being overdriven.
My problem is I need more than 2.5 hours per day, and I'm reluctant to charge NiMh at home and at work. I looked for a torch which had about 15 hours run time and found the Cybalite. 30 Lumens for 15 hours.
The cheapo end of the market - Tesco et al, will be basically the same chips but those chips will be on the edge of tolerance, and sold off cheap to China. Really cheap torches from the Poundshop have a bluey light - well out of tolerance 'scrappers'.

My Tesco torch is on my 'don't want to get wet' bike. The Cybalite is on my 'Pikey -I don't care' bike which can get wet.

Top Bottom