torch for front lights??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Had a browse for the Exposure Joystick.

Hmmm.... What kind of a halfwit spends £145 on a bike lamp?

Now, my CybaLite cost £40 and is pretty damned good.

Hmmm... What shall I buy with the other £105 ?????

one that wants a light that burns for nine hours plus bright enough to light a dark road and one that's very very bright in London traffic

and that's so small it's barely on the handlebars at all

you get what you pay for, you enjoy those torches

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
one that wants a light that burns for nine hours plus bright enough to light a dark road and one that's very very bright in London traffic

+1

Bit of a shock/horror agreeing with you there sunbeam!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jimboalee said:
Had a browse for the Exposure Joystick.

Hmmm.... What kind of a halfwit spends £145 on a bike lamp?

Now, my CybaLite cost £40 and is pretty damned good.

Hmmm... What shall I buy with the other £105 ?????

Tynan said:

Interesting how much value some people put on their own lives, I think my life is worth more that £145 and a good bike light is going to get me seen, QED there is less chance of my being killed on my commute. A couple of torches might look like a bargain but if they fail when I am half way home they are not much use.

jimboalee

As a matter of fact, I've cycled through London.

I've also cycled in Boston Mass, NYC ( never, never, never again ), San Francisco, San Jose and all up and down Silicon Valley. Daytime and nightime riding, so don't talk to me about traffic.
London is a peaceful suburb. Well it was last March. Has anything changed?

I don't need to spend £140 + on a lamp. I've seen bright lamps and the CybaLite is bright enough for dear old London town, including the A40 trunk route out to Hillingdon via Hanger Lane gyratory which was my route 25 years ago. That was in the days before LED chips and there were only filament Halogen bulbs. I had a 50 Watt 12V halogen reflector running off a 12 V, 7.2 Ahr PbA sealed battery, which would put your tiny lamp to shame.
So don't talk to me about bright lamps either.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
jimboalee said:
As a matter of fact, I've cycled through London.

I've also cycled in Boston Mass, NYC ( never, never, never again ), San Francisco, San Jose and all up and down Silicon Valley. Daytime and nightime riding, so don't talk to me about traffic.
London is a peaceful suburb. Well it was last March. Has anything changed?

I don't need to spend £140 + on a lamp. I've seen bright lamps and the CybaLite is bright enough for dear old London town, including the A40 trunk route out to Hillingdon via Hanger Lane gyratory which was my route 25 years ago. That was in the days before LED chips and there were only filament Halogen bulbs. I had a 50 Watt 12V halogen reflector running off a 12 V, 7.2 Ahr PbA sealed battery, which would put your tiny lamp to shame.
So don't talk to me about bright lamps either.

But this is a forum, the place for talking. If someone wants to spend £140 plus on a light who are you to say they are wrong just because it does not float your boat ?

jimboalee

Yes, it’s a forum for talking, and every contributor has a right to free speech. So IT IS ??allowable for others to ridicule my ( and other's ) choice of a low cost option. I may have been guilty for the 'halfwit' jibe, but it was in reaction to the 'Pikey' jibe earlier in the thread which was totally uncalled for.
I am not a young cyclist, and one thing I have seen all these years is there are two types of cyclist. One are the 'must have' brigade who buy the lastest, hyped up kit no matter what the cost, and then take the piss out of those who don't. The other type are those who enjoy their cycling and help other cyclists by forwarding tips and information about where or when there is a bargain to be had.
Most of the people here are type 2, but there is at least one type 1. Why didn't he just say "Your stuff's crap, look what I've got".

jimboalee said:
Yes, it’s a forum for talking, and every contributor has a right to free speech. So IT IS ??allowable for others to ridicule my ( and other's ) choice of a low cost option. I may have been guilty for the 'halfwit' jibe, but it was in reaction to the 'Pikey' jibe earlier in the thread which was totally uncalled for.
I am not a young cyclist, and one thing I have seen all these years is there are two types of cyclist. One are the 'must have' brigade who buy the lastest, hyped up kit no matter what the cost, and then take the piss out of those who don't. The other type are those who enjoy their cycling and help other cyclists by forwarding tips and information about where or when there is a bargain to be had.
Most of the people here are type 2, but there is at least one type 1. Why didn't he just say "Your stuff's crap, look what I've got".

well said there jimboalee.

though i do think that the tone of a response does not always come across well on these forums, and it can be easy to take offense. there are those that just like to push ya buttons too, you know who you are ya buggers :girl:
lets keep it friendly, we're meant to be helping one another, not winding each other up. i'll just pop off and polish my halo now :thumbsup: :biggrin:

cheers, velocidad.

Origamist said:

Thats some pretty impressive firepower. How do the mounts work on the bar? they only seem capable of pointing the torch in the same direction as the thing its mounted to.

BTW - Using torches rather than bike specific lighting merely takes advantage of economies of scale that the respective sales/production volumes can deliver.
The prices of some bike lights takes the p$$s - but you pays your money etc..

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
In my student days I experimented with using a torch as a cycle light to save money, but soon found it to be a false economy. OK so torches have come on a long way since then but so have cycle lights. The big difference between torches and cycle lights is that torches an not generally designed for long burn time, where as cycle lights are. At the end of the day it your money and your life, you choose... That is all I was trying to say;)

jimboalee

Just for interest, not intended to wind anyone up…

This is New York on an October evening outside the 5th Avenue Apple store.
Notice the cycle Rickshaws. They have 5 reflectors, and one LED lamp on the rear.
The front lamps however, are run off a dynamo. Yes, dimmer than the Sturmey lamp on my BSA 20”.
Now these things are licensed to carry paying passengers, and someone mentioned not valuing life.
DSCF5743.jpg

Origamist

Legendary Member
cheadle hulme said:
Thats some pretty impressive firepower. How do the mounts work on the bar? they only seem capable of pointing the torch in the same direction as the thing its mounted to.

They don't work with bars - I have the mounts on my stem. These mounts are also good for fixing a torch to your helmet.

The torch has a good runtime too: 80 mins on high and about 5 hours on low.

jimboalee

Warning.

Maplins sell the Aurora 1.5W LED 2 x C cell torch.
I have seen one on a bike this evening.
The beam was all down the middle with NO peripheral light at all. Not even on his front tyre.
We compared our lamps. He's probably in Tesco right now.

Downward

Guru
My £10 Torch from Tesco is excellent, I shall be getting another tomorrow and I have another set of those £2.66 micro Led lights so that's 2 sets, 2 Rear lights and 2 x Torches

Top Bottom