torch for front lights??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

naffets

for the money and performance i noticed the fenix ld20 torch getting great feedback with mountain biking but wondered if anyone knew if there was a mount fitting for road bars?? or a similiar torch with drop bar mounting ? or is there any lights that can match the performance for the price?

Llama

Veteran

jimboalee

I'm using a Ring CybaLite torch. 5Watt LED that is more like a motorbike lamp.
The penalty for such a device is its weight. 4 x C batteries in an alum canister.

The Lockblock doesn't look sturdy or grippy enough to keep the CybaLite rigid.

It is held on the handlebars with two Jubilee clips in a similar manner to the velcro straps on the Lockblock. One round the lamp and the 2nd Jubilee clip. A slice of rubber sheet keeps the handlebar paint intact, and both clips are tightened securely.

No slipping. The lamp is only removable with a screwdriver and a fair bit of time, so relatively theft proof.

Noodley

mercurykev said:
I use the lockblock with a Fenix L2D - it works well.

1 post and you joined all that time ago!!! What you been doing? ;)
Good to see you...

I bought 2 of them last week, and fitted them and they look great. One holds a Tesco 3W torch the other my Dinotte. Very easy to fit and appear to offer good fixing. But I've not been out with them yet ;)

jimboalee

P6010006.jpg

Here's a Ring CybaLite, strapped onto my winter commuter using the Jubilee Clip method.

Tea leaves wont get this off in a hurry.

Tynan

Veteran
looks pikey to me, like someone strapped a torch to their handlebars

I've got a joystick I bought for the Dun Run, ludicrous expensive but bloody supern for commuting, only downside is that it's so small it gets lost in the pannier

jimboalee

Got a torch from Tesco.
It pulls 850 mA, so with 2.8 V, its really 2.4 Watts, or 2.5 hours of light, or ONE day !! for my commute. Which means a battery change every day.

And what's more, NiMh batteries are slightly wider than alkalines, especially when they've just come out the charger or been whacked with a current drain such as 850mA; so they DON'T fit! Too snug - even cool ones.
I daren't push them in in case they never come out.

Waste of money that was.

For Sale. 1 Tesco 3W torch. hardly used. Perfect condition. £5.00.

jimboalee

Sorted.

Didn't have to do any machining today. The Uniross NiMh cells have a plastic film coating, a kind of metalised film label with all the 'Uniross' details printed on it.

Peel it off and Hey Presto; one usable torch.

Marked up the batteries with a permanent marker pen.

Hey, get this. For all you out there with one of these torches, put one NiMh battery in it and shake !!!
Mine flashes !!!!!

jimboalee

Sussed the mysterious flashing. Not aliens. There is a ring of solder on the LED board that connects it to the torch body. Now I am using 'naked' batteries, the battery case is touching the solder and making the circuit.

Back to the garage.

jimboalee

It was fun all right. Pillar driller ( not the driller killer ) and a reamer to enlarge the inside diameter to get NiMh cells to slide in easy.

So beware.... If you intend to use NiMh cells in the Tesco 3W torch... You can't without machining the thing.

£10's worth of fun...

Top Bottom