Torque wrench, how critical

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zakalwe

I used to do a bit of wiring work and I know all about stripping insulation from a bit of wire with cutters. The difference is, prepping a bit of wire is dunce work on a low value bit of wire, and you do it repeatedly. If you're terminating a Camlock on the end of a length of 60mm2 cable you'll probably want to tighten the bolts up with a torque wrench, lest some poor roadie pulls it straight out and exposes a bare end with a few thousand volts ready to kill him.

If I was tightening the same screws all day and I had a clear idea of what, say, 10Nm felt like, I could probably hit it with decent accuracy thanks to the repetition. But I don't. I tighten a single bolt here and there to various pressures with no warm up to what I need. And anyway, why bother being macho about it? Not many people are born with an innate sense of how many Nm they're pushing, the only way to learn is by using a tool that tells you what you've already done.

compo

Veteran
I only use a torque wrench on bottom bracket cups and crank bolts. I agree with others who say it isn't necessary, but I have the tools so may as well use them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The right torque could be well be needed for safety critical items such as the wheels and saddle.

Except they are held on by quick release fixings which cannot be torqued.

Think I'll stick to nipping up.

Zakalwe

I've seen an alloy bar fold in the middle mid ride thanks to the faceplate being over tightened, on a bike set up and ridden by an experienced cyclist. Luckily they were slowing down at the time, but was quite funny watching their stance getting rapidly lower as it bent like Uri Gellar's cutlery.

YIMan

Put it this way, I've got a nice 3T ARX Stem with an irretrievable snapped bolt in it........

40 years plus of mechanical experience behind me and I can say that most of the people I know cannot guess a torque by hand me included.

Or me - but you don't need to 'guess' any number. You just need to know when something is tight enough, in relation to the materials concerned and the likely stresses on them.

I've seen an alloy bar fold in the middle mid ride thanks to the faceplate being over tightened, on a bike set up and ridden by an experienced cyclist.

Being an 'experienced cyclist' does not preclude being a 'gorilla with a spanner' - you can still be both. Highly unlikely that a faceplate could ever be tight enough in itself to cause a tubular bar to collapse and you would probably have stripped the threads out of the stem long before you could have tightened it to a load where the bar itself could have been damaged. The faceplate could have been mis-tightened (ie not 4X), which is more likely to have placed undue stress on the bar - which is a completely different issue.

Zakalwe

Being an 'experienced cyclist' does not preclude being a 'gorilla with a spanner' - you can still be both.

Which...... Is my point. Which you seem to have missed. The claim getting bandied about is that you should just rely on feel and experience. And you just highlighted a flaw in this apparently foolproof system

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
ermmm no 14 years without a ticket, and yes fairly easy to cut a shelf to length without a tape. its all down to experience. sadly swome people just don't want to learn by feel just blindly follow a tool . as i said before ham fisted spanner manglers.

a bit like holding a car on the clutch, i don't have a tool for that - its all about feel. try it sometime you will be surprised. same as stripping insulation off a copper cable- the by the book way is to set wire strippers to a specific depth. i don't know any electricians who use wire strippers . 99% use side cutters or the cutting blade on a pair of linesmans pliers. its all about the feel.

By the time you gain this experience, you have potentially cost yourself well in excess of the price of a torque wrench in parts you have compromised!

I would learn to do without, if the consequences didn't cost me anything, however, when I am working with hundreds of pounds, maybe even thousands of pounds worth of my own cash, I would much prefer to just use a tool designed for the task.

subaqua

What’s the point
you can even be a gorilla with a spanner and not be an experienced cyclist.

one fitter i worked with had two levels of tight- nipped up nicely and w*nked up hard . never had any failures, never used a torque wrench in his life. its one of them things you get. although it looks like some people won't from posts here.

Top Bottom