Torque wrench, how critical

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've a few quid left from my birthday cash & was wondering if its worth investing in a torque wrench :blush: I do most of my maintenance myself, dont have any carbon bikes, only a carbon seatpost :smile:
Is it going to be a worthwhile investment, or am i best just sticking to hand tight plus a bit :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have never used or needed one and I have a carbon jobbie.
Just be sensible with your tightening and you will be fine. Just be careful not to be hamfisted.

Get one if you really do want one, but no, imo not needed.

I always overtighten anything I touch by hand, so if you are like me an paranoid about bolts coming loose then a torque wrench is well worth a few quid.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
IMO it is well worth buying one! If only for your own peace of mind. Even with alloy components. I like to know that my brake cables are torqued into the calliper to the recommended spec for one!

However, I have always found that what I thought was tight by intuition was actually under the torque spec and needed to be tightened up a bit more with the torque wrench. So you can easily get by without one if you are not a complete mechanical numpty. I just like to know, rather than presume.

If you have the mechanical sympathy of a rhinoceros, then a torque wrench might be useful.

Put it this way:

Number of stories I have heard of fastenings coming loose through incorrect tightening = very few
Number of stories I have heard of people stripping threads while using torque wrenches = lots

subaqua

What’s the point
the only thing i use one for is in work on critical busbar connections- I have one i check things on the bike occasionally and all of them have been so close that you by "feel" if it is tight enough

Zakalwe

Torque wrenches can be had for 15 quid. If your frame costs a grand or two then a torque wrench is a no brainer. Remember that the marked torque values on components are limits, not targets, though.

Why do manufacturers quote specific formulated torque values if "nipping up" by hand is all thats required? Just a thought.....:scratch:

subaqua

What’s the point
Why do manufacturers quote specific formulated torque values if "nipping up" by hand is all thats required? Just a thought.....:scratch:
for anally retentive ham fisted spanner mangler type people ??
they have their uses but its not the be all and end all

MrB1obby

Torque wrenches can be had for 15 quid. If your frame costs a grand or two then a torque wrench is a no brainer. Remember that the marked torque values on components are limits, not targets, though.

Generally the problem is these cheap torque wrenches go out of calibration rather quickly and are generally poor quality. It's better to buy one for £40 or so and it will last 10 years or more. :smile:

To answer the question, for bicycles I don't and have never used one. Generally I only use them on motorbikes and cars for certain bolts which are more prone to thread stripping and what not. However other people use them for reassurance, depends if you want that.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think the majority are recommended torque values - otherwise, what's the point.

To cover their arse in the event of legal action.

They are good for covering your own arse in case of warranty too, provided you have a calibration cert (I do have one........ somewhere, lol) :tongue:

"Sorry you overtightened this component, not covered by warranty" - "No I did not, I torqued it to the recommended torque using a torque wrench" - "Erm..... fark it we cba to argue, have a new one"

They are good for covering your own arse in case of warranty too, provided you have a calibration cert (I do have one........ somewhere, lol) :tongue:

"Sorry you overtightened this component, not covered by warranty" - "No I did not, I torqued it to the recommended torque using a torque wrench" - "Erm..... f*** it we cba to argue, have a new one"

I don't think that would work. Having a calibrated wrench is no evidence that you tightened it to the right number.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't think that would work. Having a calibrated wrench is no evidence that you tightened it to the right number.

No it is not, but there comes a point someone has to concede and the customer has more to loose and thus will create the biggest stink. Knowing you did not over torque at least gives you some confidence in your side of the argument if you do intent to cause a storm.

BTW, it has worked for me in the past. Had a stem replaced when it cracked during tightening, to the correct torque using good practice of tightening equally and in stages.

Top Bottom