Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys

I am installing pedals and the user guide is saying 34 newton m but my torque wrench only goes up to 24.

Does that mean I need to buy a new torque wrench with a higher ranger or is there a way of using my current one and not over/under tightening?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4238196, member: 9609"]are you sure? 24Nm will be less than 20 lb ft, which is a very very low figure.

as to your question, I would agree very much with MrPaul, a touch more than finger tight is all that is needed, simply riding the bike will tighten them up further (so much so they can be very difficult to take off again)[/QUOTE]

20ftpounds is a fair bit of welly - if you had a 6" spanner that'd be 40lbs of oomph at the end or a 3" allen key with a formidable 80lbs

As peeps have said upthread, finger tight then nipped up a bit. And do put some coppaslip on the threads - grease will do but coppaslip is the right stuff

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4238224, member: 9609"]I still can't believe his torque wrench only goes up to 20lb ft
I think it is calculated in metre kilograms[/QUOTE]
It could easily be only 20 ft lb. You don't need (or want) huge amounts of torque for small bolts. First hit in google for "cyclists torque wrench" lead me to Park Tools "small clicker", with a max torque of 132 inch pounds. Thats 11 ft lb.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4238224, member: 9609"]I still can't believe his torque wrench only goes up to 20lb ft

a bike sized one - maybe screwdriver style? You're not going to want th 100flbs one for doing your cyclinder head.

I've only got car sized torque wrench so never used a diddy one so just guessing really

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Unless you do a lot of back pedalling, just do them up finger tight and a bit more, as others have said. Has anybody actually had a pedal fall off because it was too loose? There are plenty of posts about not being able to get them off because they are seized or too tight.

subaqua

What’s the point
Unless you do a lot of back pedalling, just do them up finger tight and a bit more, as others have said. Has anybody actually had a pedal fall off because it was too loose? There are plenty of posts about not being able to get them off because they are seized or too tight.
copper grease

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The OP says Newton metres. My little bike beam wrench only goes up to 12 Nm IIRC

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unless you do a lot of back pedalling, just do them up finger tight and a bit more, as others have said. Has anybody actually had a pedal fall off because it was too loose?
Not AFAIK but loose pedals can start rotating back and forth on the threads annoyingly. Hand tight is plenty enough to stop that, though.

Viking

Although I usually use a torque wrench, I don't for pedals because hand tight plus a "nip" seems enough for me and 35 Nm sounds high although I'm sure it's right.

And I've never taken a cassette lock ring up to the recommended 45 Nm because that feels excessive and I've never had any problems leaving it at 35 Nm. I'm religious about sticking to all the others e.g. 5, 9 Nm on other bits of my bikes.

Top Bottom