Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In which case, you are effectively doing the same job as a torque wrench. Probably not as accurately as you think but essentially the same job.
Well I've not snapped a bolt (unless it was attempting to remove a seized one) or stripped a thread since 78 and AFAIK none of the Cars or bikes I've worked on have had bits drop off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My reply was tongue in cheek, because some people always reply with the show us the science comment, when there is clearly more to life experience than just science. Your response proves that?

My only question would be, how do you know it would be the correct torque if you’ve never used a torque wrench to know what that torque feels like? Honest question, nothing more to it.
Well I've used torque wrenches on cylinder head bolts, wheel nuts on alloy wheels big end/main bearing bolts and motorcycle crankcases etc so I know what it feels like but those examples are absolutely torque critical applications to avoid distortion with the important thing being that they are all identical.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In which case, you are effectively doing the same job as a torque wrench. Probably not as accurately as you think but essentially the same job.
Congratulations on successfully calling another poster a spanner!

Seriously, I'm not too bad at the small stuff but I've got a torque wrench so why not use it? And I lack the experience with the tighter stuff so I'll keep on using the big £12ish beam wrench rather than trash parts by having them too loose.

D

Deleted member 1258

Does anyone have any experience with either of these Torque wrenches? Looking to get a cheap one for using once in a while.

Planet X Jobsworth Torque Wrench Set

Wiggle Lifeline Essential Torque Wrench Set

Mighty Torque Wrench Set
I was thinking of buying just a torque wrench, for instance Sealey-8-inch-2-24nm as I have lots of bits (and bobs) at hand, but it all depends on what size drive they are. Would it be possible to fit a socket from a socket set onto a torque wrench and then fit the correct bit into the socket and then use the torque wrench, or would that change the torque amount?

All three are identical to the Giant Tool Shed set I brought a few years ago.

D

Deleted member 1258

I too have never used a torque wrench on a pushbike but then I've never worked on a Carbon Fibre bike. At one point I used to say I didn't own anything Carbon Fibre but now remember I actually do.................................................My Carbon Fibre record (as in LP) brush. :laugh:

I use mine on the small stuff, stem bolts, handlebar bolts that sort of stuff, I'm notoriously heavy handed and the torque wrench stops me over tightening stuff.

PpPete

Legendary Member
having used a ratcheting (adjustable) type as featured in the OP - and not trusted it I've always wanted a beam-type wrench.
Maybe one of Sheldon Brown's Tork_Grip
tork-grip.jpg

Which wisely eschews complicated numeroical torque values in favour of a 'Real World' system of torque values
tork-calibration.gif

bpsmith

Veteran
Well I've used torque wrenches on cylinder head bolts, wheel nuts on alloy wheels big end/main bearing bolts and motorcycle crankcases etc so I know what it feels like but those examples are absolutely torque critical applications to avoid distortion with the important thing being that they are all identical.
What sort of torque figures were they, in nm?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
bpsmith said:
Show us the science behind “how tight it is tight enough”! :smile:

Science not required, just judgement. Tight enough not to come loose by itself, not so tight you strip the thread. You make an allowance for the material the thread is cut on. Steel will take more torque than alloy for a given size fastener.

bpsmith

Veteran
Dunno we worked in lb/ft (or at least the torque wrenches did) ^_^
What I am getting at is whether the torque settings, that you believe that you know how to accurately reproduce, are anything like the low torque required for most bicycle components.

Last edited:
Top Bottom