Tossers beware - local journalism at its finest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
An FPN is an opportunity for the suspect to accept guilt by paying the fee, and thus avoid costly and protracted court cases over minor matters. If they choose to dispute it they go to court to have their say, and if found guilty the court imposes a fine instead.

A fine can only be issued by a Court or statutory regulatory body, upon a finding of guilt.

ozboz

Guru
A fine can only be imposed following a conviction. A FPN represents an opportunity to avoid being taken to court (although you are free to exercise your right to contest it in court if you prefer).

I have contested parking tickets to the respective issuing councils
And had them overturned, i once contested a speeding fine , cop with a radar , got a letter from the Cheif Constable , apologising , I had to take it into pub to convince my mates they were not haviing it !

ozboz

Guru
Strict rules are imposed upon CEO's , even if they are improperly dressed can null and void ticket , if you do get a FPN
Check everything out before you pay up Ive saved a few hundred £

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The cynic in me says that this is a money making scheme for Northamptonshire council as it is bankrupt and is cutting many services. There will be many other schemes like this around the corner.

ozboz

Guru
You would not have to throw anything , maywell be some thing comes out of your pocket whilst retrieving something , or rucksack maybe, the CEO is only interested in giving you a FPN , they usually have a daily quota depending on the Council and most likely wouldnt listen to reason, which you can contest , usually online , so you can as said check it all out and save youself money ,

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The cynic in me says that this is a money making scheme for Northamptonshire council as it is bankrupt and is cutting many services. There will be many other schemes like this around the corner.

Possibly. But if it discourages people from littering, does it matter?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If Northamptonshire CC is skint it needs to get in touch with Bury Council who have an excellent money-making scheme going. On the A58 from Bolton and the A56 from Manchester, approaching Bury, the prohibition of use of the bus lane times change from 7-10 and 4-7 to "at all times" but the change of condition is only notified by a small blue sign that many drivers miss. Bury has a tiny white car with a camera on its roof, which sits snapping pictures of motorists using the bus lane in the mistaken belief that it's okay. They have been in the local press many times and I wrote to Bury Council under FOI demanding to know how much they were earning from their revenue trap. Having been rebuffed I re-wrote my letter worded differently and eventually they admitted: £135,000 in fines the year before. Well worth the cost of the car and driver. The drivers receive so much abuse that they stick sheets of A4 paper all over the insides of the windows.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Strict rules are imposed upon CEO's , even if they are improperly dressed can null and void ticket , if you do get a FPN
Check everything out before you pay up Ive saved a few hundred £

Indeed, when an Accredited Person writes an FPN or exercises any of their powers they have to be in full uniform. Contrast this with the old wives tale that a police offer is out of uniform if not wearing their hat, etc.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I have contested parking tickets to the respective issuing councils
And had them overturned, i once contested a speeding fine , cop with a radar , got a letter from the Cheif Constable , apologising , I had to take it into pub to convince my mates they were not haviing it !

I successfully contest a parking ticket I'd received when I returned from holiday to find they had put up new parking restriction signs while I'd been away.

Top Bottom