Total beginner - dynamo and charging help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This article suggests a high power Son dynamo will just about keep a smart phone going, unless the rider can pedal faster than Froomey.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-dynamo-usb-chargers-bicycle-touring-bikepacking/
It doesn't look like you've linked the correct article: "Once a 3-watt dynamo hub has been converted from AC to DC the output will translate to roughly 5V and 500mA (the USB 2.0 charging standard), which for an hour of riding is 500mAh [...] Dynamo USB chargers are almost all excellent these days."

Or maybe your smartphone needs much more mAh than mine or something.

To clarify @HobbesOnTour you charge a powerbank successfully using your Cycle2charge?

Couple of questions - I read somewhere that the guy behind the Cycle2charge is not planning any new versions of it.

Seemed curious. If true, do you have any idea why?

I also found this from about a year ago:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12890.0

The first post says at the end:

>>Stay tuned for more new chargers coming soon. Three-phase tire dynamos are entering the market and dynohubs aren't far behind. There's a whole slew of new chargers as well, and I will be looking into them shortly.

I must admit I have no idea what that means. Do you or anyone else?

Am always wary of jumping into tech if big developments/improvements are in the offing and plan to stick to my usual "trick" of sitting in spoons to recharge until I am sure that this sort of charging is foolproof/really practical.

To clarify @HobbesOnTour you charge a powerbank successfully using your Cycle2charge?
Yes.
I have a pair of RavPower powerbanks, one of which originally accompanied my solar panel. For longer trips I prefer to bring both. Neither are as big as what are currently available. They are also less "smart" than most on the market at the moment.
Using two means that one can be charging while I ride while the other is charging something else.
There's also redundancy.
It's also easier to see if a smaller capacity powerbank is charging than a larger one as most only have 4 (25%) lights.
I have tested all my devices and the only one that is connected directly to the usb charger is the Wahoo. A previous Garmin Touring went haywire.

Couple of questions - I read somewhere that the guy behind the Cycle2charge is not planning any new versions of it.

Seemed curious. If true, do you have any idea why?

I have no idea.
When I wanted to get a spare cable I contacted him, paid by paypal and had it within a week. No service issues.

I also found this from about a year ago:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12890.0

The first post says at the end:

>>Stay tuned for more new chargers coming soon. Three-phase tire dynamos are entering the market and dynohubs aren't far behind. There's a whole slew of new chargers as well, and I will be looking into them shortly.

I must admit I have no idea what that means. Do you or anyone else?

Am always wary of jumping into tech if big developments/improvements are in the offing and plan to stick to my usual "trick" of sitting in spoons to recharge until I am sure that this sort of charging is foolproof/really practical.

Well, I have no idea. But there is a version 3 for sale. Have a look at the website.

I have mine for 3 years now I think. I can't fault it.

As for postponing a technology purchase? The thing with technology is that it is always developing. I'm sure there is someone with an old DOS pc who is waiting for the perfect tech before they buy a new one!

My advice would be to think about what you want and see if there is anything out there that will fulfil that. If there isn't, don't buy. If there is then it comes down to cost. Is the price worth it to you?
(Beware of cheaper solutions. I've seem some dodgy chargers out there).

I liked the simplicity of my unit. I do not have a threadless headset, so that knocked some options out. Others were complicated. Some had their own batteries and these will likely be the first to fail. Some were very expensive because they used some rare element to protect against water ingress - the Cycle2Charge just twists covering the usb port. That kind of practicality spoke to me. Also, if you were to look at my bike you'd never know what it was.

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

Hi

Thanks for all the reply's

I was thinking of this one

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-c3000-int7/DH-C3000-3N-QR.html

The essential work would be for the Phone (GPS), and yes I could charge in evening but only when in a pub or campsite with free plugs.

Using OMS law, it works out to be 0.5amps

I really would like to think that this would charge a power bank a little, otherwise I see no reason for a Dynamo hub, because lights are better powered by batteries or power banks so you have lights all the time

Cheers

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

Hobbsontour

You are not wrong about those wheels at Decathlon, well cheap. I think you have to charge GPS phone from an intermediate source such as a Power bank, otherwise you could brick your phone or it would just turn off

Maybe I could go for a couple only smaller and use the smart features to properly charge devices attached - and maybe solar

ummmm - not really sure

For powerbanks, although I haven't charged them from a dynamo, I rate Anker. Simple indication of charging and charged status (4 lights - i see no need for a numeric digital readout) and seem to hold charge well.

I have 2 10,000 units and one 21,000. First can often be had for £15 or less, second for £30 or less. Both have 2 outputs.

Agree with you about lights albert - battery lights last a long time on a charge and won't be used much on tour.

Hi

Thanks for all the reply's

I was thinking of this one

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-c3000-int7/DH-C3000-3N-QR.html

The essential work would be for the Phone (GPS), and yes I could charge in evening but only when in a pub or campsite with free plugs.

Using OMS law, it works out to be 0.5amps

I really would like to think that this would charge a power bank a little, otherwise I see no reason for a Dynamo hub, because lights are better powered by batteries or power banks so you have lights all the time

Cheers

That dynamo is 3W so it can be used for charging. As for the overall quality of the hub I cannot say.

It's not clear from your posts but you do need a device between your hub and your powerbank.

That powerbank would be too big for me, but fine if you just want to mains charge it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you have that backwards. Battery lights run out eventually. Dynamo hub lights are available all the time you're riding, which is when you need them.

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

hobbsontour

Are you sure as 3w 6v is only 0.5 amp and a 1 amp charger would take 22 hours to charge this power bank, it dosent mention any less amperage for charging

Cheers

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

OK this is getting more complicated insofar as, the connectors and kit need seems really expensive as they normally include small power packs with them and I do not want a powerpack as I will have a bigger one. So does anyone know where i can just buy the connector and wire that goes to USB connector

Cheers

Top Bottom