Total beginner - dynamo and charging help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thunk you may be forgetting the "convertor" albert. You need one.

I am aware that the usb-werk has a small built-in battery (a bad idea I think if you aren't running sensitive kit on the go from the dynamo) but I think many "convertors" or whatever they are called, including hobbes's recommended one, don't have a battery built in.

Apologies if I have asked before @HobbesOnTour or if you have mentioned it elsewhere, did you compare the Cycle2charge to the ewerk? Either by comparison of spec listings or practical testings?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not since 1970 they haven't. Modern dynamo lights you can expect at least 5 mins of light after you stop.
The magic feature is "standlight" or "steady". There are still some scammers selling broken or old clones that go out.

Albert, I think you need to stop and have a read of the link @Pale Rider provided earlier.

hobbsontour

Are you sure as 3w 6v is only 0.5 amp and a 1 amp charger would take 22 hours to charge this power bank, it dosent mention any less amperage for charging

Cheers
22 hours is optimistic. That's assuming you're always above the generating speed, don't stop and doesn't take account of the loss of energy.
The fact is that my powerbanks never get filled up on the bike because I am only looking to replace the energy that I am using.

Another reason it will take so long is because the powerbank is so big. Mine are 5000 and 10,000 mAh.
Also can somone tell me how this would fit my bike

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/28-front-hybrid-dynamo-wheel-id_8133890.html

No mention of bolt on or quick release and what about the connection with the dynamo? do need specific kit?

We don't know what bike you have, other than that it is, in your own words, crap.
We don't know how much weight you will be carrying and if any of that will be on the front wheel.

One advantage of Decathlon is that if you do have any problems you can bring it to a Decathlon shop to get it fixed. But.... I believe they're a bit like Halfords - some mechanics know what they are doing, others not so much.

From the specs
Hollow steel axle (quick-release not supplied).
I'm not sure if the Shimano connector is included, but they have one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-terminal-connector-id_8078831.html

This is what you will use to connect your charger (and or lights) to the dynamo.

Or just ask Decathlon!

OK this is getting more complicated insofar as, the connectors and kit need seems really expensive as they normally include small power packs with them and I do not want a powerpack as I will have a bigger one. So does anyone know where i can just buy the connector and wire that goes to USB connector

Cheers
Ideas are suggested in the article Pale Rider mentioned above. Most are available on Amazon or specific bike shops such as SJS.

If you plan on stopping or staying in places where you can charge the powerbank, then you really don't need a hubdynamo set up.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
OK this is getting more complicated insofar as, the connectors and kit need seems really expensive as they normally include small power packs with them and I do not want a powerpack as I will have a bigger one. So does anyone know where i can just buy the connector and wire that goes to USB connector

Cheers

Sadly you need all this gubbins to stop the hub generator from causing your expensive gadgets from spontaneously combusting.

OR

You could get something like the B&M Luxos IQ U headlight which has a USB connection.

Apologies if I have asked before @HobbesOnTour or if you have mentioned it elsewhere, did you compare the Cycle2charge to the ewerk? Either by comparison of spec listings or practical testings?
I compared it to as many different systems as I could find at the time. But the Cycle2Charge is the only one I have used.
From memory, the Ewerk was probably more efficient and seemed to get good reviews but I rejected it based on price, practicality and the fact that it was too complicated... for me. I like simple things ^_^.
Initial cost was too expensive and replacement batteries were not cheap (from memory).
The combined battery was too messy especially if I was going to be charging a powerbank from that. (the powerbank lets me charge two things simultaneously). My unit is very neat and discreet.
And if I ever find myself worrying about the efficiency of anything while I'm away on the bike...... well then I'm not touring!^_^

All I wanted was something to give me a bit of flexibility and an energy buffer when I needed it.

Thanks for the reply hobbes - you have a similar mindset to me so if I jump for this sort of thing I may well go for the Cycle2charge.

ah, yes, the ewerk has all those damn selectable options I think? I didn't like the sound of that.

But from memory I thought it was without a cache battery and that was the usb-werk?

ps hobbes, I don't quite understand you preferring smaller powerbanks because they fill up more easily. Surely they are just containers/vessels - hardly matters if they never fill up from the pedalling as long as they accept/retain the charge? And a larger one can of course be topped up more when you fill yourself up in a pub?

ps hobbes, I don't quite understand you preferring smaller pox or werbanks because they fill up more easily. Surely they are just containers/vessels - hardly matters if they never fill up from the pedalling as long as they accept/retain the charge? And a larger one can of course be topped up more when you fill yourself up in a pub?

Once my powerbank failed and was not charging at all. At lunchtime I was able to see that because the leds weren't moving. On a bigger powerbank I wouldn't have noticed until the end of the day. Only the very expensive powerbanks seem to have detailed charge displays.
As much as I enjoy a good pub, spending the six or so hours necessary to fully charge a big powerbank would probably result in me forgetting the damn thing ^_^
Besides, when one is full, I can always swap it for the other.
There's redundancy if one fails. And there's the advantage of being able to charge up to 2 devices while charging the other powerbank.

On a short or weekend tour I'd just take 1.

Thanks for the reply hobbes - you have a similar mindset to me so if I jump for this sort of thing I may well go for the Cycle2charge.

ah, yes, the ewerk has all those damn selectable options I think? I didn't like the sound of that.

But from memory I thought it was without a cache battery and that was the usb-werk?

It was three years ago..... I don't recall the specifics. I'm happy with what I have, so I've never gone back to see if there was a better option.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That, or the similar Axa Luxx 70 plus, are probably the simplest way into USB charging from a dynohub.
There's also the B+M Luxos U, but I reckon that tries to be too clever.

In terms of power banks, it's worth getting one that supports pass-through charging, so you can stick it between the USB supply port and whatever is being charged, and it will act as a big buffer battery. I use a Zendure A2.
Many power banks won't supply power to a device at the same time as they are being charged.

One thing to note about charging on the move is that USB ports aren't designed for on-the-move use, and it is possible that something like water or an unsupported cable flapping around for a few weeks could break the micro/mini/C USB port in your phone/GPS, which would be expensive.

Last edited:
Many power banks won't supply power to a device at the same time as they are being charged.

May be misremembering but I have the idea that Anker, who I rate, deliberately don't offer this in their powerbanks as it harms the battery.

Doesn't bother me as even if I go down the dynamo charging route I have no desire to do this.

Maybe helps that my smartphone use is minimal and I use a rechargeable AA powered garmin. Happy to recharge these when not riding from the powerbank.

OP
OP
A

albertramsbottom

That, or the similar Axa Luxx 70 plus, are probably the simplest way into USB charging from a dynohub.
There's also the B+M Luxos U, but I reckon that tries to be too clever.

In terms of power banks, it's worth getting one that supports pass-through charging, so you can stick it between the USB supply port and whatever is being charged, and it will act as a big buffer battery. I use a Zendure A2.

That is a very good tip as I hadnt thought of that!

Thanks

freiston

Veteran

Cheers
It's not complicated. Modern dynamo lights are imho far better than battery/rechargeable alternatives both in convenience and performance (beam pattern is more relevant than total light output - B+M and AXA do some lovely front lights good for fast dark country lane touring - they don't go off when you stop either, unless you're stopping for considerably longer than necessary at a junction/traffic lights). A Cycle2Charge unit will connect to your dynamo hub either directly or by splicing into the front lamp wires (you can use relatively cheap crimped piggyback connectors or you can splice and solder with heatshrink like I did). Top up your powerbank as required when cycling in daylight. Unplug the powerbank and switch over to lights when cycling at night - a front light with an on/off switch will make this easy. You can even buy small AA/AAA USB powered chargers and charge them from your powerbank as well as your phone.

Cycle2Charge is available from amazon.de here. You can get dynamo hubbed wheels from ebay (e.g. Taylor Wheels) quite cheaply - any Shimano 3W hub will do the job - you should be able to find one the right size for your bike and with the preferred fixing method (QR/solid axle etc.).

So for charging alone, you could use a front wheel with dynamo hub and a Cycle2Charge unit. If you want dynamo lights too, get a switched front lamp (and a back lamp if required) and either connect both Cycle2Charge and front lamp to the hub or break the wires from the hub to the front lamp and connect/splice the Cycle2Charge wires into it. A Shimano dynamo hub comes complete with a plastic connector block for your wires.

Top Bottom