Totally meaningless reviews!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always attempt to read as many reviews as possible about a product, almost any product, before I make the decision to buy on line.

Currently I am looking to buy some replacement fast road tyres and went onto Amazon to see what they had to offer, some of which made for quite interesting reading, but then, as usual there were the idiotic reviews that Amazon ought to do something about kicking out.

For Christ's sake when writing a review about a bike tyre, would any of the following comments help you in making your purchasing decision................... "brilliant packaging", or "they look good but I don't know as I have only bought them as a present" and then the worst of them all "they smell gorgeous" !!

Slick

Guru
Nothing stranger than folk.

hoopdriver

Guru
The whole system of reviews is such that it is almost impossible, where products are concerned - as opposed to holidays/hotels - to get a meaningful review. Within a couple of days of your purchase you usually receive some sort of prompt to offer up a review, which many people do, with the best intentions. But who can give a meaningful review of a tyre after a week? Or a rain parka - perhaps it hasn't rained, or if it has, you still probably haven't worn it often enough to know its good and bad points or idiosyncrasies well enough to inform the decisions of anyone looking to buy. You could comment on the overall look and styling, the feel of the fabric, or possibly the fit (and that's no bad thing to know) But as far as its actual functionality, its worth - nada.

And don't get me started on the idiots who give something a one-star review because it took three days to arrive instead of overnight, or the fact that they themselves ordered the wrong size...

Last edited:
When buying a spatula would you trust the opinion of someone who goes online to write reviews of kitchen equipment?

byegad

Legendary Member
Amazon market place sellers literally beg for a review.

I bought a small item under £3 from amazon market place and was bombarded by the seller asking me to please review them and the item. After the fourth or fifth request I duly complied.

" The item was dispatched promptly, arrived in great condition and was exactly what I wanted.
However I've received a request for a review from the seller every day this week, So here it is.

If you want to be emailed constantly for a review, use this seller."

Incredibly it stayed up on Amazon for a week, at least, I stopped checking then, so maybe it's still there.

As a marketing strategy "tell us what you think" is very effective, it's not really about reviewing, more about engaging customers.
'Professional' reviews aren't much better; if I hear one more reviewer mention stiffness and compliance, "climbing" wheels or complain that a sub 8 kilo gravel bike is "a bit heavy" I'm truly gonna scream

byegad

Legendary Member
Professional reviews, as seen in magazines are a true waste of time. They are being paid to review a product whose manufacturer pays, via adverts, the wages of the reviewer.

He/she is never going to say the product is a pile of excrement, neither is (s)he going to say that the finish is poor, the functionality bad and the likelihood that it will fall apart next Tuesday high.

Because this risks the seller removing their adverts, and so bringing on the demise of the reviewer and possibly the publication.

Top Bottom