Totally meaningless reviews!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I often check Tripadvisor for reviews on hotels and restaurants. I know that owners and their friends go on and give good reviews and sometimes when I've been to a place with really amateurish service and awful microwaved food, I'm amazed at the numbers of good reviews - I can only assume that 95% of the population lack any discrimination or taste or are soft in the heads. You have to read the "bad" and "terrible" reviews then filter out those angry reviews where the customer had a silly misunderstanding with the staff then look for the few who have really understood the place.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The whole review culture is now totally debased. The Amazon reviews are mostly written by paid Amazonians who are writing about something they know nothing about, hence the ridiculous comments.
As for food restaurant reviews I recently read of a blogger who emailed a hotel demanding free accommodation for her and her partner in return for a 'favourable' review on her blog. The hotelier declined her offer in no uncertain terms after going public with her request.

united4ever

Über Member
I get where op is coming from. I also sometimes read the daily commute thread and always surprised when some posts something like: 'fairly uneventful ride in today' or similar....why bother?

bpsmith

Veteran
I wonder if the magazines are actually, in real world terms, reviewing the advertising brands higher than those brands that don’t advertise in the said magazine. I see the logic, but I wonder if this is factual or the figment of pessimistic imagination.

Will have to dig out a cycling mag and see.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had the same when I wanted some new frying pans. I don' mind paying but I might have found equally good ones cheaper do I reviewed various ones to death.
Jeez, the amount reviews that read...
'Arrived very quickly'...look fantastic but havnt used them yet'...or 'brilliant, can't wait to use them'

FFS, someone tell me if they'e durable, if something cheaper did the job equally well, if they'e truly non stick etc etc..

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
I wonder if the magazines are actually, in real world terms, reviewing the advertising brands higher than those brands that don’t advertise in the said magazine. I see the logic, but I wonder if this is factual or the figment of pessimistic imagination.

Will have to dig out a cycling mag and see.

I don't know if this is true with the cycling press but it is most certainly true with all of the caravan and motorhome press and it has been going on for years!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I find the amazon book, music and dvd reviews usually quite useful. You can instantly filter out the useless reviews "book had damaged cover" "arrived late" and so on, or the utterly daft ones with american christians panning a book on fossils for not saying the dinosaurs drowned in the flood, or some nutter trying to say Einstein was wrong. But something which gives some insight into whether the book is up your street can be a real help. I have been put off a couple of books because otherwise favourable reviews give examples of convoluted writing. I generally haven't got the patience to have to construe what the author is actually on about especially if the subject matter is itself difficult. It's either lazy writing, poor editing, or not uncommonly a pretentious author trying to sound cleverer than he is by being obscure. Similarly reviewers can point out if there are silly mistakes - this matters a lot if it's a maths or physics book where the material is hard. On the other hand I have seen obvious shill reviews on a truly terrible military history book which had a load of 5 star reviews from people who had only been moved to reviewe this one book, and / or had candidly admitted it was their lecturer's book and felt obliged to brown-nose. Similarly with music - if someone writes an intelligent review of a performance I can get an idea whether this or that version of a symphony is going to appeal whatever score they themselves give it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Argos is as bad as Amazon for pointless reviews: "I bought this three days ago and haven't used it but it was in a nice box - 5 stars" or such nonsense. ^_^

Although for true review tomfoolery, a lad at work books his holidays and then looks on Trip Advisor to see how people rate the hotel he's just booked...:wacko:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I had the same when I wanted some new frying pans. I don' mind paying but I might have found equally good ones cheaper do I reviewed various ones to death.
Jeez, the amount reviews that read...
'Arrived very quickly'...look fantastic but havnt used them yet'...or 'brilliant, can't wait to use them'

FFS, someone tell me if they'e durable, if something cheaper did the job equally well, if they'e truly non stick etc etc..
Eaziglide neverstick2. So non stick your food will levitate.

Are they durable? I don't know. Ask me in ten years time.
Could something cheaper do the job? I don't know. Without buying a lot of cheap pans it's impossible to say.
But I'll be buying more of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom