touching up black cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have always tried to avoid/thought them a bit daft as of course the black has a tendency to just get rubbed/scratched off anyway.

But vanity/foolishness has eventually got the better of me and have just ebay bought a second hand retro set for a black build and I can see that there are some marks.

Is there an easy way to cover these up?

Doesn't need to be too perfect as folk aren't in the habit of peering/grovelling at my cleated feet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you know what I would do? There isn't a DIY paint that's as good as a factory applied paint so I wouldn't bother. Either live with it and enjoy the patina of age and hard work or get some black vinyl tape and wrap the cranks carefully. Once that wears you can always re-wrap.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Black car touch up paint pen for me. Not perfect, but quick and easy.

On a MTB I quite like the look of a well worn crank, shows the bike's been well used. On a roadie for some reason my OCD kicks in and I'd prefer it to be unblemished.

Heli tape is good for avoiding scuffing the cranks with your shoes, if you can be bothered.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A brand of marker pen.
Beloved by Trump who allegedly used one to change the Hurricane Dorian map :whistle:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I've often used gloss black enamel paint, carefully applied (not too thickly) on black parts. To clean brushes I found have most hand washes work well.

Top Bottom