Tour de Celeb: Louie’s cycling safety demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Elation? Most of them seemed distraught and cream-crackered. Not smiling and arms aloft except for a couple of the later ones. Not a great advert for why you'd want to do it.

Perhaps it was choice of word, emotion of the accomplishment.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
At times some looked so out of their depth; I was surprised they all finished. But I suppose celebs have a very healthy dose of competitiveness (Hugo hides his very well). Therefore, none wanted to drop out and be seen as failures, especially the ex-sports stars.

Not sure distraught is the right word, although Louie was maybe close. He certainly didn't show much positive emotion at the end.
Neither did Austin or Darren initially, but that was clearly just fatigue on the finishing line; there was plenty of elation otherwise, and much celebration.

I loved the show. Have never considered doing the étape, but it's now a 'maybe' on my list for a future year. Could be a good charity ride, especially if Channel 5 make the programme an annual suffer-fest.

*Hugo hid it very well

too many people with no road skill all pretending to be Froome/Wiggins/*

Who thought it would be a good idea to stop on the line to lift their bike up...

That's exactly it. I reluctantly do the Ride London because I get recruited to do it by charities. If I can raise a bit of cash for some good causes, I can put up with the faux pros.I do the isle of sh1te Randonnee each year, because it's a Randonnee, not a SPORTIVE, and it's actually quite nice. I hate Sportives with a passion, because they are knobber magnets.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
That's exactly it. I reluctantly do the Ride London because I get recruited to do it by charities. If I can raise a bit of cash for some good causes, I can put up with the faux pros.I do the isle of sh1te Randonnee each year, because it's a Randonnee, not a SPORTIVE, and it's actually quite nice. I hate Sportives with a passion, because they are knobber magnets.
How do you get "recruited" ? Do you have to pay for your ride or have to raise a certain amount of money? Just interested.

How do you get "recruited" ? Do you have to pay for your ride or have to raise a certain amount of money? Just interested.
They pay for my entry, and accommodation, and usually for a post ride Social / fundraiser event. If you get yourself known / recognised, they are more than happy to have you on board, because 'incidental' funds you raise are normally at least a factor of 10 above their outlay. It's word of mouth / reputation. I've yet to test their resolve, by not raising anything, I suspect I may not get asked again if I managed that.

[QUOTE 4609687, member: 43827"]Precious, moi?

Is the event you are leading a Sportive?

If so do you let the people you are leading know that you think they are nobbers. Assuming that is, that ride leaders cannot be nobbers.[/QUOTE]
It's not a sportive, you need to wind your neck in.

Challenge rides sometimes use Sportives, I don't make the rules, I really don't like the ones that are set in Sportives, my next challenge charity ride isn't using a Sportive, that's fine by me, Sportive riders ( not challenge riders) tend to be knobbers, unless they are challenge riders, doing the Sportive, in which case they tend not to meet the 'knobber' criteria ( ride like a tool, don't listen, can't hold their line, think they are in a race) etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
They pay for my entry, and accommodation, and usually for a post ride Social / fundraiser event. If you get yourself known / recognised, they are more than happy to have you on board, because 'incidental' funds you raise are normally at least a factor of 10 above their outlay. It's word of mouth / reputation. I've yet to test their resolve, by not raising anything, I suspect I may not get asked again if I managed that.
Sorry I don't understand any of that, so you don't pay anything and you don't raise anything?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I taped and watched it all over Thursday/Friday while ironing, having a sit down and brew etc.

Initially I found myself irritated by how far removed from cycling the programme was. After a while I began to feel some empathy towards some of the participants and mellowed over the whole thing.

Yes there was stuff more experienced riders do without a thought or don't do (tube by roadside), all the falling off and tears seemed excessive. Occasionally we get newbies turn up for a club ride who have taken on too much - I've yet to see one fall off or cry. For me there was too much emphasis on the unpleasant aspects of riding and not enough on the sheer joy.

They all did extremely well to finish and in some cases clearly pushed themselves way beyond their limit. On the "personalities" - Healey is still a dickhead; Louie I found very irritating with his constant moaning; Hugo let his team down (set up or not), Lucy seemed to overcome genuine fear (top marks); Jodie had a great attitude; Darren showed everyone the dangers of going on the beer beforehand, he didn't seem to realise the cause, but did well considering his weight; Angelica I thought very plucky and prepared to just keep trying; Amy was another with a great attitude.

Surely the reds would have one if Hugo could change a tube? He lost 45 minutes.

Overall I felt the woman came out of the show streets ahead of the men.

I now plan to ride the Etape in 2018. Never considered it before but would like to have a go as I've now seen it's within my capabilities. I'll be totally nackered at the end.

Last edited:

blazed

220lb+
What is it with the word knobber on this forum? I've never seen it used anywhere else online, and have never heard a single person say it in the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE 4609915, member: 43827"]That makes it much clearer. It's obvious you are a serious cyclist and only lead rides of other serious cyclists, except when you are required to reluctantly lead a Sportive.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure of the last time I'm aware of anybody getting everything so wrong, in such a short space of time.

IMG_3809.JPG

Possibly this.

Well Mr. Chamberlain, you've done it again. Congratulations.

Sorry I don't understand any of that, so you don't pay anything and you don't raise anything?
I don't pay anything, I raise lots. I'm not required to do so, but I tend to raise the money anyway. I'm sure you did get that, I suspect it's another poor attempt at trolling from you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4610305, member: 43827"]
It has already inspired PaulSB to think of signing up for the ride next year so it was a positive program for cycling. I seriously hope he doesn't turn out to be a knobber..[/QUOTE]

Moi? Non!!

Decent club rider, occasional leader. Best I've achieved to date was the Tour de Yorkshire sportive 85 miles, 8500 feet but the climbs come in waves rather than three long ones. Think the Tour de Celeb would take me 7.5 - 8 hours. I'm 62.

Anyway I'll give it a go in 2018 unless I can get on 2017

Last edited:
Top Bottom