Tour de Celeb: Louie’s cycling safety demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Them losing does not mean he did the wrong thing. He's only one man. If Hugo had learnt to change a puncture they would have won.

There's nothing Austin could have done to make up more overall time than he did by flying off. Which is the same reason Amy shot off. Simple.
Well one of us here gets paid to lead exactly these sorts of rides ( in fact is leading one in May 2017 as it happens ) and knows what he's talking about, through experience of this type of ride. The other one is you.

Reactions: mjr

Lpoolck

Veteran
People are forgetting. They were 15,000 other riders that the weaker celebs could have tagged along with. There was no need for the team to ride together unless they were all of simular abilities.

Cannot believe how serious people took the program or some of the elitist views people are making. It was an entertainment programme about cycling ffs.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Austin clearly did the right thing for the team by going ahead. If he'd stayed behind and helped, he'd have needed to squeeze over three and a half hours extra out of his teammates.
About 1h10 faster per teammate. It's fairly obvious that he could have improved Hugo's time by that if not more - they lost 45minutes on Hugo's second puncture, I don't remember what they lost on the first but it probably was at least 15 and then Hugo wouldn't have been chasing back seemingly alone for most of the ride so would have had some benefit from being in a group. You may be right about not having much scope to improve Angellica's time and who knows how much Lucy could have been coached downhill faster.

But if Austin had been riding within himself until he fixed Hugo's second puncture and then attacked off that descent, instead of attacking from the gun, he'd probably have still finished first or second, plus maybe he could have tried some mind games on Darren and Jodie (and possibly even Amy) as he overtook them, duping them into going into the red and blowing up (again, in Darren's case), instead of him basically doing the last 100k as a time trial.

You're probably right in that it might not have been enough - but it would have been more entertaining TV to see him try to carry his team for a bit and then rip up the field, rather than what was effectively a series of fairly boring TTs (more interesting for the survival tactics employed by those nearer the back) and one fool stood at the side of the road losing his team the race.
If Hugo had learnt to change a puncture they would have won.
Well, he had been taught - spot the Hugo in a hat:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht16PB_93Xw

Cannot believe how serious people took the program or some of the elitist views people are making. It was an entertainment programme about cycling ffs.
Lighten up ffs! :laugh: The whole show was elitist, built around a fairly elite sportive and deliberately making things tougher than they needed to be - cycling is really really easy, really, although some people like to make it into hard work. :smile:

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I'm probably going to regret asking, but...
How terribly non-U.
"non-U"?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
and deliberately making things tougher than they needed to be - cycling is really really easy, really, although some people like to ma

Maybe some of us like a challenge, like to be pushed, like to feel knackered at the end of a ride. This show got it spot on, the more experienced riders were fine the less experienced struggled.
Would have been a pretty bland show if it was "come on, let's have an easy ride to the shops".
To be fair I was amazed they did the miles they did in the training sportives, I usually ache like an arthritic 90 year old. And some of the celebs times in the saddle- over 8 hours, on an uncomfortable racing bike, even id bulk at that, more speed please vicar.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Would have been a pretty bland show if it was "come on, let's have an easy ride to the shops".
Sure, but there's more interesting cycling than knocking oneself out. We saw next to naff-all of Morzine, the Colombiere, the Joux-Plane and I've already forgotten where it finished :laugh:

And some of the celebs times in the saddle- over 8 hours, on an uncomfortable racing bike, even id bulk at that, more speed please vicar.
Meh. It was only 8 hours. Sort your position out to get comfortable, then come try our local group's 100 mile challenge ride next year - it's unusual we get around in 10, although that does include elevenses and late pie+beer lunch :cheers:

People are forgetting. They were 15,000 other riders that the weaker celebs could have tagged along with. There was no need for the team to ride together unless they were all of simular abilities.

No THIS STUFF IS DEADLY SERIOUS. Celebrities making an arse of themselves on telly is important to keep the earth rotating on its axis, and the tides working properly and stuff.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Well, entertaining as it was, the last ep left me with the same feeling I have when considering entering a sportive... too many people with no road skill all pretending to be Froome/Wiggins/*

Who thought it would be a good idea to stop on the line to lift their bike up... check out the chap locking up his wheels to avoid the 'coach/pacer' who doesn't check behind himself before moving off.... plus as already mentioned the implied leaving the inner tube at the side of the road....

The only thing I think they managed to capture well was the elation at the end of the event where the achievement comes home.... previous eps, perhaps 6/10, this one, 4/10

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

The only thing I think they managed to capture well was the elation at the end of the event where the achievement comes home....
Elation? Most of them seemed distraught and cream-crackered. Not smiling and arms aloft except for a couple of the later ones. Not a great advert for why you'd want to do it.

Top Bottom