Tour de Celeb: Louie’s cycling safety demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
They had to have mishaps otherwise it wouldn't make good tv viewing would it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think Hugo's role was to be hated. I can imagine the director having a word in his ear "Hugo, darling, this isn't quite working. You're not being enough of an arse. Would you be a love and go to Glastonbury this weekend?".

Just as Austin and Darren were there to be Laaaaads, Angelica to be plucky, and the skinny woman to cry a lot.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I checked the results. His position 11111. Only 44 finished behind him.

Bib
TAYLOR HUGO
Mégeve - Morzine » -, US
Finished
09:16:17

So?

He completed it. Something that most people couldn't do. You only had to see the looks on the faces of them coming in in 9 hours or whatever to see that what was important was completing the event. Not how fast or slow they went

It's very easy to forget that most of them hadn't ridden a bike other than the 8 weeks in the run up to the event

So?

He completed it. Something that most people couldn't do. You only had to see the looks on the faces of them coming in in 9 hours or whatever to see that what was important was completing the event. Not how fast or slow they went

It's very easy to forget that most of them hadn't ridden a bike other than the 8 weeks in the run up to the event
Which says a lot about how 'tough' this "TOUGHEST RACE IN THE WHOLE OF THE
WORLD EVVVVVVVVVVVERRRRRR"

Actually is:rolleyes:. It's like giving a monkey a typewriter and an infinite amount of time.

It's been a while since I used an indexed double (don't see the point) but I think it's similar to friction in this way: isn't throwing the chain an incorrectly-set limit or cable tension, rather than mere trim?
Quite right.
Cables don't stretch. Certainly not in this application anyway. The outers may bed into place and move an itsy bit, but even then if cut square and installed properly I think you would struggle to notice.
I replaced my groupset 18 months ago , and haven't touched the indexing since. I've done just short of 4000 miles on it. And i'm fussy about nice shifting

mark c

Über Member
I liked the show overall although it had the annoying habit of constantly repeating the fact of the challenge of the Etap if it did it once it did it ten times per show. Also Hugo was a waste of space and i loved Louie

gersin008

Quite enjoyed the show and I think showed how difficult cycling is. Most things on TV show it as leisurely pursuit but most of us know it's ruddy difficult

Quite right.
Cables don't stretch. Certainly not in this application anyway. The outers may bed into place and move an itsy bit, but even then if cut square and installed properly I think you would struggle to notice.
I replaced my groupset 18 months ago , and haven't touched the indexing since. I've done just short of 4000 miles on it. And i'm fussy about nice shifting
Quite wrong on just about everything

BorderReiver

Veteran
Some cables and outers (cheap ones) will probably stretch more than others (expensive ones). There is no way a correctly set up bike should need cables adjusting on a 75 mile ride though. I've certainly gone literally years and thousands of miles without adjusting indexing on Ultegra and Dura Ace. Maybe the lower end groupsets need more maintenance?

Some cables and outers (cheap ones) will probably stretch more than others (expensive ones). There is no way a correctly set up bike should need cables adjusting on a 75 mile ride though. I've certainly gone literally years and thousands of miles without adjusting indexing on Ultegra and Dura Ace. Maybe the lower end groupsets need more maintenance?
Precisely. I've spent many years developing test protocols for stressed engineering components ( chains and cables for example ). There's a test which is done, to determine what's known as the Stress corrosion coefficient. It involves determining a number (nd) by producing what's known as a Weibull distribution graph. These are produced by subjecting a test article ( a chain or cable ) to increasing strain levels, applied at increasing rates, until failure. Once these tests are completed, and the calculations are done, the Stress corrosion coefficient (nd) can be determined. This essentially tells us how much grief you can give the tested article before it fails ( stretches irrecoverably past its elastic limit, and / or snaps) With these types of components, there are fairly defined grades / criteria into which we group production runs. cGMP or 'Gucci' as it's referred to, is high end aerospace grade stuff, which is very resilient, then we have 'Gen' this is standard construction grade stuff, and is used in lots of important things like engines, and building construction / civil engineering. Then there is 'dog sh1te', as long as the application is not safety critical, or regulated, this stuff will do. Finally we come to 'consumer' ( or 'gash' as it's known ) grade stuff. Most 'gash' finds its way into things like bicycle componentry, where it's sub divided into further categories. These are from plain old commoner garden 'gash' which equates to 'high end bike stuff', right down to 'total and utter gash', which is componentry commonly found at the BSO end of the market.

Top Bottom