Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some of the comments about Froome remind me of some of the things people said about Andy Murray...
People accused Andy Murray of being Kenyan? :whistle:

BSRU

A Human Being
Is there a website with a climb category calculator? I always thought that the categories were a bit flexible.
No, I found a website a while ago that explained the cat system.
It is the length in metres multiplied by the average gradient to give a number which corresponds to the cat of the climb.
It also stated the average gradient has to be at least 3%.
Cat 4 >= 8000,
Cat 3 >= 16000,
Cat 2 >= 32000,
Cat 1 >= 64000,
HC >= 80000.

I think they have lots of flexibility when assigning a cat to a climb.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Okay, that's the 2013 TdF done! :thumbsup:

Here's some news about the 2014 edition ... I was out on my bike the other day and discovered that our council are already starting to patch up the roads to be used on the local Yorkshire stage next year.

Traffic calming measures are being added to the road coming out of Mytholmroyd before the foot of the Cragg Vale climb and I observed that they are bolting down a temporary pedestrian refuge rather than building a permanent one. I reckon that they are thinking ahead and will remove it before the Tour's arrival?

The local media are still describing the Cragg Vale climb as a 'stiff challenge' for the Tour riders. It involves 968 ft of climbing in 5.5 miles, an average gradient of only about 3.3%, with one short section at about 8%. 'Stiff challenge' - ha - I managed to get up it in about 30 minutes even when unfit and suffering from a DVT and pulmonary embolism! If they bother to categorise it at all, I reckon it will be a cat 4 climb.

PS To show the way that official minds work ... Despite the fact that our roads are in an awful state and need a lot of money spending on them, the council has seen fit to replace the sign at the foot of the Cragg Vale climb with a shiny new one. I sense a TV photo-opportunity in the making. They couldn't let the cameras focus on the tatty old sign ...

... so they splashed out on a new one! :wacko:

That was on one of the cycling tv programs I saw the other day.

Did we go up that on one of your rides colin ?

thom

____
I think you'll find that E is on the WADA banned list. You may better off just having an F.
Wasn't there a sprinter who blamed his failure of a test for testosterone on having an F with his girlfriend because it was her birthday ?

thom

____
No, I found a website a while ago that explained the cat system.
It is the length in metres multiplied by the average gradient to give a number which corresponds to the cat of the climb.
It also stated the average gradient has to be at least 3%.
Cat 4 >= 8000,
Cat 3 >= 16000,
Cat 2 >= 32000,
Cat 1 >= 64000,
HC >= 80000.

I think they have lots of flexibility when assigning a cat to a climb.
Originally that categorisation was the gear that was required to drive a 2CV (or some such ancient french vehicle) over the pass in question. HC meant you couldn't get the car up it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wasn't there a sprinter who blamed his failure of a test for testosterone on having an F with his girlfriend because it was her birthday ?
Dennis Mitchell?
edit -
Yep - well remembered Rich p!
His defense of "five bottles of beer and sex with his wife at least four times . . . it was her birthday, the lady deserved a treat," was accepted by USA Track and Field but not by the IAAF

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suppose you've already got a house full on July 4th 2014?? :whistle: ;)
Aye!

I think there will be a Yorkshire-full, TBH ... Hotels and B&Bs started booking up as soon as the announcement was made.

I reckon the best bet would be to try the local campsites. There is a small site by the New Delight Inn at Jack Bridge, about 3 miles from Hebden Bridge. Lovely spot, and the pub is 100 ft from your tent. Contact Hebden Bridge Camping.

Also try Jerusalem Farm campsite (rated 6th best in the UK!). Another lovely location, handy for the local stage.

Top Bottom