Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
... If they eliminated the podium nonsense, they could still do the rest of the job.

What's more, removing that element of the role would open the position to those who don't fill the current criteria of looks and age but could otherwise be very capable of doing the job. In any case, it's a one-off job for three weeks, not a career with prospects...

It's also the case that the people who do these jobs often do them in a variety of contexts other than the Tour / podium girls, and can have really quite high powered roles in various fields. Many are degree qualified or multilingual. It's unlikely that taking them off the podium would make any difference to their employability or income.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

jarlrmai

Veteran
The whole podium girls thing has a whiff of Sepp Blatter/FIFA style "the women players should wear short shorts" about it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Today on BBC Radio 4 did a brief article on the Froome doping innuendo stuff at around 8am this morning. Pierre Sallet and Cookson were interviewed. The link isn't on the web site yet but it should come up here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0638xbb

I'll have to go back and listen to it again as I wasn't awake enough to follow Sallet's English. I got the impression that it was all pretty familiar territory so it'll only be ''for the record'' listening for many.

EDIT: it's up now, feature starts 2:09:55 in.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The stage was rubbish duller than dull. Three weeks of very exciting racing topped off with a non race. Complete waste of time.

Not every sporting contest ends in a nail-biting finish for the champion. In cricket, day 5 of a test match can be seriously dull, as one team finally bats or bowls their way to the inevitable result. F1 can also end in non-races, still keenly contested, but having no bearing on the overall World Champion.

Clearly ASO want a show-piece finish at the centre of France (economically, culturally, politically), and if this means that all except the sprinters are just in it for the ride, then its time to enjoy the experience rather than expecting an edge-of-the-seat event.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I grumbled about Nicole Cooke being forgotten when Wiggins was the "first British winner of the TdF" so I'll have a similar grumble about Froome being the first"British" two time winner and Cooke being similarly forgotten.

400bhp

Guru
You need a sprinters stage at the end otherwise you would have half the riders abandoning-those riders who are sprinters or pure sprint teams.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
But how can this happen? Only a sprinter is ever going to win a sprint stage, and sprinters are never going to be near the top of the GC in a three week race, never ever ... so unless they make the last stage a mountain stage it is never going to be won on the last day. It is always "won" on the day before, like this year, in the Alps ... or, more usually with a time trial which is a really significant show of an individual's strength on the bike.

For the stage win, yes, but if you had, say, 2 or even 3 good all rounders who have been biting away at each other *timewise*throughout the tour, and..... Basically, how close does it really have to be before they throw 'tradition' out the window?
Also, what if something was to happen to the leader on the final stage and you in fact won.... But you didn't because it had been neutralised because of 'tradition'..... I bet you would be just a tad wistful at least.
I can't beleive for a minute that all these super competitive guys just lamely roll over and take it each year because its 'Da roolz'.

Richie Porte and Marianne Vos also seem to have unfeasibly large mouths. Does it give them a physiological advantage in getting more air into their lungs?

That guy on Eurosport who presents along with Greg Lemond.... The last time I saw a mouth like that it had a fish hook in it!

Va Va Froome

Über Member
I grumbled about Nicole Cooke being forgotten when Wiggins was the "first British winner of the TdF" so I'll have a similar grumble about Froome being the first"British" two time winner and Cooke being similarly forgotten.

Noticed a similar comment on a Guardian article yesterday.

I must confess I was unaware of a women's TdF. Now I know about "The Grand Boucle" - shame it was scrapped. And reading up on it, a shame that The Tour didn't seem to be too welcoming of it.

Top Bottom