Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I remembered the third item on my wish list for 2016! For each stage to be televised in full, including the roll out. (Preferably on the BBC for both the advantages of no adverts and a significantly better 'player, though I recognise there's more chance of getting a women's version of each Grand Tour than this...)

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Basically, how close does it really have to be before they throw 'tradition' out the window?
Vinokourov's stage win in 2005 was enough for him to leapfrog Levi Leipheimer for 5th in GC. I remember thinking at the time that it was rather dishonourable (though not as dishonourable as the doping conviction for which Leipheimer was stripped of 6th and Vinokourov should have been stripped of 5th...)

MisterStan

Label Required
Sagan's not the only one who can pop a wheely....
From SKY's Facebook page;
11228911_10153645337234873_5010340597721337739_n.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Vinokourov's stage win in 2005 was enough for him to leapfrog Levi Leipheimer for 5th in GC. I remember thinking at the time that it was rather dishonourable ...
I'm no fan of Vinokourov, but it is a bit odd to suggest giving up the chance of a prestigious stage win because the side effect of it would be to make a significant improvement on the GC!

suzeworld

Veteran
For the stage win, yes, but if you had, say, 2 or even 3 good all rounders who have been biting away at each other *timewise*throughout the tour, and..... Basically, how close does it really have to be before they throw 'tradition' out the window?
Also, what if something was to happen to the leader on the final stage and you in fact won.... But you didn't because it had been neutralised because of 'tradition'..... I bet you would be just a tad wistful at least.
I can't beleive for a minute that all these super competitive guys just lamely roll over and take it each year because its 'Da roolz'.

If the top GC guys were that close, to literally a few seconds then they would fight for it, but my point is they are not going to get big enough time diffs on a sprint stage to catch up a gap of over a minute, which is what we have this year. Quintana could race all he liked, but he needed mountains to put a minute into Froome on Friday and Saturday. Basically, the teams are not that different in strength for anyone to be able to put a minute on a sprint stage. The noble art of "closing down a break" is far too well establshed for that.

AS for neutralised? Maybe we are talking about different things? My understanding is that neutralising is an actual rule the race organisers can call on to apply in sh^t weather .. to prevent utter carnage. Nothing to do with tradition. And if Froome had gone arse over tit and not been able to finish from some point earlier in the final stage, then Quinatna would have been the winner of the tour .... simps ...

Top Bottom