Tour de France 2017 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
BMC have announced their team and are completely behind Richie Porte's attempt on the GC...

...apart from GVA being free to hunt for stage wins.

A sign of an enterprising strategy or a mixed message?

Dunno. Is it?
I had a look last night and it's not setting my heather on fire. A bit 'meh' - I cannot recall my specific issues (I'll have another look tonight and summarise them, unless I change my view in which case I'll summarise that...) but overall I was left thinking it's a poor effort. The format and timing of mountains was one of my gripes, not entirely sure why but I'm sure it will come flooding back later.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The stage 20 TT is the one that bothers me. Only 22.5km but that might be long enough to make a difference to the GC and negate whatever racing has happened in the previous days.

Three summit finishes: 5, 12 & 18. Last mountain stage is 18, which finishes on the Col d'Izoard.

Probably the toughest stage is 9, 181.5km with 3 HC climbs, but then there's a descent off the Mont du Chat and a flat run to the finish.

I'll reserve judgment until we see how the racing pans out. A lot will depend on the form of Quintana and Froome, whether Richie Porte avoids having his customary off day, and whether the likes of Dan Martin, Chaves and Bardet can avoid losing too much time in the TTs.

Hoping for a good showing from Dan Martin. It's a real shame Alaphilippe won't be there because this looks like a good course for him.

Adam4868

Guru
Shorter punchier climbs,there's quite a few of the iconic climbs left out alpe d huez,vonteux if i remember right.I recall them saying they wanted a more open race,not controlled ? Hard to do if you've a nine man team.Sky have a lot of good climbers so there well prepared.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It has the potential to be more open, less processional (see posts above) and hopefully more interesting.
It might also need the riders in with an outside chance of a win to animate the race and challenge the status quo.
Dan Martin, Bardet, Contador, Fuglsang etc.
Given their patchy form compared to previous years, it could be the best course and opportunity for them to challenge Froome and Quintana.

Top Bottom