Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Maybe not in cycling, but outside cycling fans, at least in GB, being an Olympic medal-winner holds more status. Even if it is silver. I suspect most in GB would have given Patrick Sercu (Olympic gold winner as well as TdF green jersey winner) higher billing than his former six-day teammate Baron Merckx.
Most people in Britain have never heard of Patrick Sercu, and I doubt if very many of the current generation of cyclists have either. There are so many golds on offer at the Olympics that in the long term most of the winners are all but forgotten, and in cycling where GB have shedloads one more or less makes bugger all difference.

Adam4868

Guru
I started a new thread for Cav if anybody's interested.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most people in Britain have never heard of Patrick Sercu, and I doubt if very many of the current generation of cyclists have either. There are so many golds on offer at the Olympics that in the long term most of the winners are all but forgotten, and in cycling where GB have shedloads one more or less makes bugger all difference.
That's the point I was making: they're foreign champions from a past generation so most people won't have heard of either, but Brits would rank Olympic gold medal winner Sercu ahead of winner-of-shedloads-of-races-but-no-gold Merckx - so I can understand why Cav went for the Olympics at the expense of Tour de France records that only cycle-racing fans care about.

Milzy

Guru
That bar Epstein is awful he will carry it forever.
Look at his montage of pro victories he’s wearing all early 2000 kit. The racing is saturated with young quick bullets. He should be proud of what he’s done & I’m sure he could easily get a job on Eurosport. It’s not the end of the world but a new beginning.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The power I have! ;) Don't like responsibility, though.

You've all been approved!

Hopefully there won't be any stragglers as I'm away this weekend, although I'll check with my phone to see if anyone's been left beho\ind.
I'll try to give team selection some thought ASAP

suzeworld

Veteran
Tsk. You started without me.

It seems I’ve been here for 6 years mainly for the fun of the annual Tour thread
Popped into Smiths today to buy the Guide, with “free” socks and key ring.
So all set for this year.
G all the way for me

Allez allez allez

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Popped into Smiths today to buy the Guide, with “free” socks and key ring.
I went out for a ride wearing my brand new "free" yellow socks on Sunday. Got back, took my shoes off and there was already a hole in one of them. Shocked, disappointed and disgusted I was.

Adam4868

Guru
I went out for a ride wearing my "free" yellow socks on Sunday. Got back, took my shoes off and there was already a hole in one of them. Shocked, disappointed and disgusted I was.
Bit of advice.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom