Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Probably. I'm not sure he'll want to go down the 'end of career' non-TDF team route.

I do wonder what's next for him though. His own team / coaching ?
Probally won't want to go to a lower team with no back up so looking like could be hanging his boots up so to speak.Whatever he's had a fantastic career.
I hope he does some tv in the future,but was thinking commentary.Cant be arsed with strictly !

KneesUp

Guru
As he was a competitive ballroom dancer as a lad I imagine Strictly beckons.
Oh god can you imagine the fuss! "He's had lessons!" "It's supposed to be people who've never danced before!" - it'd be great for click bait headlines in the Daily Heil, so yeah, they will probably be after him.

I'd have thought there is a career in the media for him if he wants it - he's a recognised face with a very respectable CV and a personality, in a sport where having all three of those things seems rare. But I guess he might want to keep more involved and go down the team management road. Or he might think "I have enough money to retire, so I'm going to do just that" - who knows?

I thought that lone ride on the mtn stage of the TdeF, the year before was it, was his valedictory ride. I was surprised he didn't hang up his wheels not long after that. Then the whole Epstein Barr virus came out again and I thought ahh, maybe he still has some racing in him then but he's never pulled back the form and I do wonder if the reason he hasn't quit is because he doesn't know what to do next. Great rider, great career.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Makes you wonder what he could have done if HTC had stuck together, and he'd stayed with a sprint focused team instead of wasting his time at (GC focused) Sky. I never understood that team being wound up. Surely they could have found a sponsor.

He wouldn't be allowed as Strictly is for people who have never danced competitively before.
I didn't know that. I've never seen Strictly. Ah well, one door closes ...

KneesUp

Guru
He wouldn't be allowed as Strictly is for people who have never danced competitively before.
It's not strictly enforced. Debbie McGee was on it the other year, and she went to The Royal Ballet School and was a principal dancer for the Iranian National Ballet (pre-revolution, obviously)

Adam4868

Guru
Makes you wonder what he could have done if HTC had stuck together, and he'd stayed with a sprint focused team instead of wasting his time at (GC focused) Sky. I never understood that team being wound up. Surely they could have found a sponsor.

I didn't know that. I've never seen Strictly. Ah well, one door closes ...
But he only did a year at sky didnt he ? I think he had more wins there than at quickstep.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
IIRC, the HTC team were the ex T Mobile team and were still receiving residual funding as part of the deal when T Mobile withdrew from cycling i.e. the HTC team were never fully funded by the sponsors on the shirts. When Cav left, the team had no offering to attract additional sponsors and were no longer viable.
I thought Cav left because the team was folding. And went to Sky who were so obviously unsuitable even I could see it.

Maybe you're right and it was the other way round and the team folded in part because Cav left.

I just remember being disappointed that a team with Cav, Renshaw and Eisel and others all on top of their game suddenly stopped.

But he only did a year at sky didnt he ? I think he had more wins there than at quickstep.
Yes, but the momentum of his career was interrupted by the HTC team being broken up. (That's my memory of it. Maybe it was interrupted by him leaving HTC)

I saw Cav win a sprint stage in 2011, but as I was about 200m from the finish all I saw was a blur. An abiding memory of the 2016 tour, when he made a comeback, was watching his stage wins on a big screen in a local village hall in France. That was a great summer holiday. Some friends went out to see a TT that year (I think it was that year) and got a great photo of Cav who they swore was the only rider to freewheel past them.

Another favourite stage was - I think - in his first year at OPQS (2013) when the stage was blown apart by crosswinds. There was so much going on in that stage. The GC was shaken up, Valverde got a mechanical, there were echelons and to cap it all it was a Cav v Sagan finish.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dimension Data is a lesser team. They only have WT status because of Cavendish.
That's a bit dismissive of the WT points scored in TDD's three completed WT seasons by Haas (53+775+transferred), Boassen Hagen (79+561+497), Slagter (0+589-for-cannondale+462) and Ben King (0+12+258) compared to Cavendish (80+88+35).

(Points listed split into three years because their value has not been constant between years...)

If anything, TDD only have WT status still because UCI (under both Cookson and Lappartient) have failed to get any sort of sensible league system going, probably partly because there's still a strong pressure from those who want a protected franchising/licensing system like some US sports. If there was relegation, they would have dropped down to Africa Tour for a season by now, or had to win some re-entry contest.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I bet Cav regrets pulling out of a couple of Tours to prepare for the Olympics when he was the fastest sprinter in the world. The record number of stage wins would have put him up among the Gods of the sport, whereas other than on the day itself the games doesn't matter that much in cycling.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I bet Cav regrets pulling out of a couple of Tours to prepare for the Olympics when he was the fastest sprinter in the world. The record number of stage wins would have put him up among the Gods of the sport, whereas other than on the day itself the games doesn't matter that much in cycling.
Maybe not in cycling, but outside cycling fans, at least in GB, being an Olympic medal-winner holds more status. Even if it is silver. I suspect most in GB would have given Patrick Sercu (Olympic gold winner as well as TdF green jersey winner) higher billing than his former six-day teammate Baron Merckx.

Top Bottom