Tour de France 2020 NO SPOILERS !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Getting back to the Tour.According to lequipe , Team Ineos has 7 riders confirmed for the Tour Bernal, Sivakov, Thomas, Castroviejo, Van Baarle, Kwiatkowski, Geoghegan Hart.
The last spot will be awarded after Dauphine to one of Froome, Amador, Rowe or Dunbar..
So out of that choice you'd think Rowe..team captain and all that.
I want Froome just for the drama alone...😁
20 days to go !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Of those tours with very few stages, how many actually ended up with fewer stages than planned due to being shortened while in progress, and how many were planned that way. 1903 and 4 were the first two tours ever and they were making things up as they went along. How relevant is it that they only had 6 stages? Were more planned?
I don't think any were shortened unexpectedly (1903 saw some rules and routes change during the race, as you say), but the idea of a Grand Tour as having 21 stages over 23 or 24 days is a recent idea. Interestingly, the rules you linked say in 2.6.007 that a Grand Tour only has to last 15 days which means 14 stages because it would have to have a rest day (rule 2.6.012).

It would be very interesting to see what they would do if it were necessary to curtail an in progress tour. I suspect that nobody knows because it's never happened before and they would make it up on the hoof. Possibly abandon it all together. Possibly curtail it and make some changes to the remaining stages of they had advance warning of the necessity to shorten it. I don't think there's sufficient precedent to guess what they might do.
Paris-Nice and UAE Tour 2020 were both curtailed and the results stand, but both completed the majority of their stages, so I think that combines with the 14-stage minimum to mean results will almost certainly stand if it completes 14 stages. What happens if it's shorter is a bit less certain.

Edit: https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/rules-and-regulations/part-ii-road/2-roa-20200612-e.pdf
No I don't see anything about a minumum number of stages in here. The nearest is the Extreme Weather Protocol which says "If it all goes horribly wrong we'll all get together and decide what to do. Trust us, we'll figure something out".
What about the incidents protocol in 2.2.029? Again, that seems to boil down to "trust us" as it allows the president of the commissaires' panel to cancel or let the results stand if the race is stopped. I would bet on the results standing if 6 stages are completed before cancellation and it's almost certain if it reaches the first rest day - but let's hope that doesn't happen. With a rest day offering the chance for so much to go wrong (in the country as well as the race), I expect some GC teams to try to take yellow on the col de Marie Blanque on the Sunday.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The first two tours had both had six stages, but those races took considerably more than six days to complete. By 1906 they were racing on alternate days. It was a while before the race began to bear close resemblance to what we have now.

The 1946 race wasn't an edition of the Tour de France.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I am Ned Boulting.

Perhaps Sean Bean could have be part of the team, could be there in his Sharpe uniform, be a new episode Sharpe's Tour :okay: it might win the Belgians over
He hears you and has been training hard.

Top Bottom