Tour de France 2020 NO SPOILERS !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Personal view. Happy for opposing views but without shooting me down.

All 2020 sporting events should be blanket cancelled. What is the point of having the Tour de France with no spectators? It also seems disrespectful to those suffering all impacts of the virus.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I'd take watching the tour with no fans over no tour at all.

View: https://twitter.com/cyclingweekly/status/1243136486616293376?s=19

Christ I'd take any sporting event going...fans or not.Im bored sh1tless allready

DRM

Guru

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I also can't see it taking place, due to each start and finish town paying for the privilege of hosting the tour, knowing that there will be income for them from tourists visiting & spending their money there, no crowds means no income, so who on earth would pay for a start/finish to get nothing back in return.
Isn't it more of a TV advert for the towns than an event to attend, especially start towns? After all, the tour entourage take up a lot of the hotel rooms. Only the biggest cities would be unstrained by it. In London in 2007, much of the caravan was staying well out beyond Docklands because I saw it driving in!

DRM

Guru
To me it's both a tourism advert, as well as an attraction in it's own right, but also the spectators who go to watch the start/finish will spend their money in the town too, so local businesses should benefit straight away.

40% reduction in the caravan? It's almost as if it wasn't all necessary to start with.

Mike_P

Guru
Eurosport even managed to c*ck the virtual tour up yesterday with commentators talking on top of other commentators and for a chunk losing sound.

Top Bottom