Tour de Yorkshire 2018 Wiggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:highfive: a big hello to whoever passed me today with cyclechat bib tights and a black/blue waterproof about 20 miles in today? You passed me with a group of other cyclists. I was on the only black/green Boardman CX that I saw today with yellow waterproof jacket!

13 rider

Guru
Possibly @NorthernDave ?

OP
OP
bikingdad90
That was a brute of a day!

It was a brute of a day. I expected miles 33-55 to be hilly but that drag up into Masham around mile 60 was something else, with tired legs it was a killer!

I saw a few people who had become a croppers on either the train tracks or the descents in the wet and plenty of punctures. I overheated and had to stop and take my waterproofs off.

It's a great route, but it was a bit damp wasn't it? ^_^

Yep, that was the most difficult ton I have ever done, made ride London look like a piece of cake.
I discovered several things:
I am too old for this.
Hutchinson tubeless don't have good traction going uphill in the wet
Rim brakes even with salmon pink pads aren't great at stopping you on a 25% descent
The people who designed the course are sadists
People were very friendly, even when I fell off into a wall going uphill !!
The 7 hour drive home yesterday was bad
I'll do the 80 next time.

Other than that it was a great day and serious kudos to everyone out there!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rim brakes even with salmon pink pads aren't great at stopping you on a 25% descent
They should be ... :whistle:

I've had the same problem round here though. I was telling @Littgull on our ride on Saturday about the time that I rode down the hill below in the wet and almost ending up shooting straight out onto the A58 at the bottom! :eek:

Royd Ln Ripponden profile.png

Royd Ln Ripponden.jpg

I did some emergency bike fettling when I got home ...

The problem turned out to be greasy wheel rims. Here is what a pile of wet-wipes looked like after I had taken them to the rims:

Baby wipes after cleaning dirty wheel rims.jpg

The brakes worked really well with clean rims! :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The problem turned out to be greasy wheel rims.

I've never greased my rims. They obviously do go faster once greased tho' :laugh:

colly

Re member eR
They should be ... :whistle:

I've had the same problem round here though. I was telling @Littgull on our ride on Saturday about the time that I rode down the hill below in the wet and almost ending up shooting straight out onto the A58 at the bottom! :eek:

View attachment 424484
View attachment 424485
I did some emergency bike fettling when I got home ...

The problem turned out to be greasy wheel rims. Here is what a pile of wet-wipes looked like after I had taken them to the rims:

View attachment 424486

The brakes worked really well with clean rims! :okay:

Are you sure that's not a pic of your undercrackers?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wet wipes ? Tsk tsk @ColinJ , you one-man environmental disaster, you.

Bucket of water with a squirt of washing up liquid and a brush does me fine for rims. Or isopropy alcohol and a rag if doing a special clean.
Yes, I've heard about the environmental issues since then!

I have been using washing up liquid on bits of rag since then.

Top Bottom